Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Would a new Macbook 1.8 be a better computer than my current 1.2ghz PB - where will I notice the difference?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The MacBook will be much better with anything CPU-intensive but the PowerBook will be better for anything reliant on the graphics card. Overall, I think the MacBook will be significantly faster in most situations. What do you want to use it for? :)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
hmmm, probably not too much. It will be on certain universal apps though. Backing up DVDs went from 3 hours with my 1Ghz PB to less than 1 hour with the 2.0Ghz Macbook.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Gaming should always be better on the powerbook, or until the Macbook gets its own video card down the line, and Adobe CS should only be better on the powerbook until CS 3 due out next year, when Adobe will make their apps native for the Macbook lines.

Native apps already made for an Intel based mac are very fast.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
mad jew said:
The MacBook will be much better with anything CPU-intensive but the PowerBook will be better for anything reliant on the graphics card. Overall, I think the MacBook will be significantly faster in most situations. What do you want to use it for? :)

I agree, but I'd add that the 1.2 Ghz powerbook has an old enough video card that even there the macbook isn't going to lag *too* far behind. The macbook is going to kill the powerbook at almost any task. But whether the upgrade is worth it for you totally depends on what you use it for.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
63dot said:
Gaming should always be better on the powerbook, or until the Macbook gets its own video card down the line, and Adobe CS should only be better on the powerbook until CS 3 due out next year, when Adobe will make their apps native for the Macbook lines.

Native apps already made for an Intel based mac are very fast.

I've got a MacBook maxed out with 2 GB of ram and I find CS 2 very usable... at times faster the my 1.5 GHz powerbook (Just based on my experiance... no real numbers).

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Just stick in a ton of Ram and Rosetta doesnt do much. As in have too much of an effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.