Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFrank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
OK, so I've made the decision to buy a MacBook, but I'd like to get some thoughts on places to buy it from.

AVAILABILITY: Whenever there's a new Mac released, Apple has difficulty in meeting demand. Does one do better in buying directly from Apple?

PRICE: In terms of price, I don't expect to see much competition for a new Mac, though some retailers might throw in free RAM or such. Of course, by buying from an out of state retailer, you can avoid sales tax which is meaningful :rolleyes:

So, any suggestions would be welcome: buy from Apple or someone else? and who else?

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
iFrank said:
OK, so I've made the decision to buy a MacBook, but I'd like to get some thoughts on places to buy it from.

AVAILABILITY: Whenever there's a new Mac released, Apple has difficulty in meeting demand. Does one do better in buying directly from Apple?
Yes.

iFrank said:
PRICE: In terms of price, I don't expect to see much competition for a new Mac, though some retailers might throw in free RAM or such.
NB Likely... seeing as they'll be able to sell any stock they get their hands on three times over at full price.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
There's never much of a change in price by Apple resellers. Apple somehow gets away with something called price fixing that I swear is illegal. The only thing resellers can do for discount is by throwing in free RAM, carrying cases, etc...I know clubmac has free RAM and case right now at $1994 starting. I've always ordered from them and been happy.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Zeke said:
There's never much of a change in price by Apple resellers. Apple somehow gets away with something called price fixing that I swear is illegal. The only thing resellers can do for discount is by throwing in free RAM, carrying cases, etc...I know clubmac has free RAM and case right now at $1994 starting. I've always ordered from them and been happy.
It's not illegal, Apple just charges the dealer something like $1890 for a $1999 machine. The dealer takes a chage card that cost them $40 in merchant fees, and they are left with $69 profit. Nobody can afford to discount.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
CanadaRAM said:
It's not illegal, Apple just charges the dealer something like $1890 for a $1999 machine. The dealer takes a chage card that cost them $40 in merchant fees, and they are left with $69 profit. Nobody can afford to discount.

I'm quite sure that isn't the case. Businesses couldn't survive with $69 per sale of a $2000 computer.

As per the illegality of price fixing, this concept applies to businesses that collude with competitors to force a higher price than market equilibrium would allow. This does not apply to individual firms controlling the prices that their products can be sold for through distribution channels.

Likely, Apple sets a price floor on what retailers can sell for. It is common, that companies who do this, do so to guarantee their customers a pleasant shopping experience. Otherwise, there are brick-and-mortar stores that will spend nothing on making the store pleasant for Apple shoppers, or hiring knowledgeable staff, simply in order to keep costs low so they can charge little and take customers from the stores that are willing to give customers the "Apple experience".

durvivor

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Amazon.com has already updated to list the new MacBook Pro (you gotta call it MacBook Pro, cause there will probably be just a MacBook that replaced the iBook)

The current $200 rebate on the current $1999 PowerBook expires on the 17th I think. So, wait & see if Amazon.com offers a rebate on the new MacBook Pro starting the 18th.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
unilateral pricing

Zeke said:

What Apple practices is something called "Unilateral Pricing". Basically what it does is give you, the consumer, the option where to purchase your product, rather than having to go for the business with the cheaper price. Bose home theaters and the Maytag Neptune line are priced similarly. Like this, if you do all your business with Sam's Club, but they're out of the Bose system that you want to purchase, you could go to Sears and purchase for the same price because of unilateral pricing and they couldn't bastardly raise/lower the price JUST to get your business for one purchase...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.