Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
My girlfriends MacBook has had the whine since day one!

She's had a few more issues, and one or two others we've not seen mentioned here before.

Recently she spoke to AppleCare and they told her to delete her Caches folder, under Library. She dragged the whole folder into the trash can.

The whine is now gone.

Try it out!

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
amacgenius said:
Which Cache folder, and in which Library folder, in the HD or in your User folder, or both?

HD > Library > Caches

Drag the Caches folder to the trash.

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I'm not entirely sure, but it is a possibility.

Maybe someone who knows more about the Caches folder can tell us more?

Rich.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Well, I just tried to delete both. Both times, I couldn't empty my trash because objects were in use. I turned of the computer, same thing happened. I hit continue a few times to finish the trash dump.

However, there is still a whine. It really doesn't bother me much, but I can hear it, no doubt. And now my computer takes about 7-8 seconds longer to boot up. I guess it was caching all the little things to help make things faster. Now everything takes about an extra second or two to open.

I just went ahead and put another "caches" folder in the appropriate spot. I'm sure my computer will be back to normal speed in a few days.

*shrugs*

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
I bet the cache thing would only be temporary anyways. Sounds to me like what happens when you delete the cache it has to start making a new as well as indexing it thius creating hd activity and cpu usage causing the whine to disapear temporarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.