Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2019
Guatemala
Recently i've buyed a macbook 2010 white. But it doesnt turn on now, just make a chime.

I've had Powerbooks g4 with similar issues and i was wondering... Maybe a PRAM or NVRAM reset will make it boot again, i need a new ram? i need to open it and fix something?

Just the chime sounds, but no signals at screen

My macbook is at my grandma's house now, but i'll go tomorrow.

Any ideas?

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Recently i've buyed a macbook 2010 white. But it doesnt turn on now, just make a chime.

I've had Powerbooks g4 with similar issues and i was wondering... Maybe a PRAM or NVRAM reset will make it boot again, i need a new ram? i need to open it and fix something?

Just the chime sounds, but no signals at screen

My macbook is at my grandma's house now, but i'll go tomorrow.

Any ideas?
Was it functioning ok when you bought it with a known good HD and screen image? And now suddenly fails to boot? Has it been dropped or perhaps shocked/damaged in transit or during storage at the remote location?

minicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2019
Guatemala
Was it functioning ok when you bought it with a known good HD and screen image? And now suddenly fails to boot? Has it been dropped or perhaps shocked/damaged in transit or during storage at the remote location?

Everything was working good, the screen was good, im gonna try with other hdd and see if at least show the "no Os" , no signals of damages.

I would try seeing if you get any video using an external display to see if it's an issue with the internal screen.

Im gonna try this, seems interesting.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I would try seeing if you get any video using an external display to see if it's an issue with the internal screen.
That was a good idea - I have the same exact issue with a 2009 white unibody polycarbonate Macbook (chimes, then blank white screen).

Using an Apple MiniDisplay to VGA adapter, I got no video from the external display.

Guess I'll replace the main logic board since I have so many of them lying around...

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
It also could be a RAM-related issue. Have you tried swapping out the RAM for other known good memory?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Found RAM was fine after swapping from a working set.

Also check your hard drive.

If the hard drive is hanging up, it will cause a white screen frozen condition.

I removed the bad hard drive and now it boots fine!

Reactions: rampancy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.