Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan7592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
So when I close the screen on my macbook, and open the screen back up, I go to firefox, and it says I do not have an internet connection. I have all 5 bars, but I cannot see any web pages. All of my other computers are connected to the internet working fine. What is causing it? I am on 10.5.2, but it was also happening on leopard as well.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Get menu meters. Those meters will be grey when you don't have a connection. Are you using PPPoE? Does it come back after a few seconds? It always takes a few seconds to a minute to restore your IP address from the router.

TEG

dan7592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
it doesn't come back. I have tried restarting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting the airport, to no avail. I have to literally unplug the router's power cord and plug it back in in order for it to work.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Next time you loose it, in the Network Preference Pane for the Airport, under the TCP/IP tab, click on "Renew IP Lease" and see if your connection comes back.

TEG

dan7592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
what is IPv4? I just turned it off and I didn't lose my wifi connection. should that be what's causing this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.