Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblio1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
I'm looking for feedback about my new MacBook with 3rd generation wireless (the 802.11n). I can't pick up my neighbors Linksys signal with it. We have a one year old IMac (2nd generation wireless)in the house that gets the signal (two bars) and had a friend with a newer (1/2 year old) Macbook (2nd gen) pick up the signal also but no luck for me. i am able to connect at the local wireless cafes. Does anyone have any suggestions other than paying for cable.

Oblio1

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
you may want to invest in getting your own cable source

1) because your connection problems will be solved

and

2) because I'd be really pissed if I found out my neighbor was bumming free wifi from me

dahlio

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
It's their own fault if they leave the network open. There is something called instructions that come with most routers. It's not stealing if it's accessible by the public like that, without any deterrent.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
It's their own fault if they leave the network open. There is something called instructions that come with most routers. It's not stealing if it's accessible by the public like that, without any deterrent.

I agree. If they can't password protect it I'll use it, have been for my iPod touch when I'm outside.

mr. feeny

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
I'm looking for feedback about my new MacBook with 3rd generation wireless (the 802.11n). I can't pick up my neighbors Linksys signal with it. We have a one year old IMac (2nd generation wireless)in the house that gets the signal (two bars) and had a friend with a newer (1/2 year old) Macbook (2nd gen) pick up the signal also but no luck for me. i am able to connect at the local wireless cafes. Does anyone have any suggestions other than paying for cable.

Oblio1

From personal experience with our own older router...the new wireless n card in the macbook's does not pick it up as well as the older cards. We called our provider and they assisted us in changing various settings within the airport mode, solving the issue.

cthomet

macrumors regular
you could invest in a meraki if you are going the router route (sorry, had to) and if you had more people buy in you can make a lil network for your neighborhood using one connection. dont have personal experience with this but it seems like a good option

dtklamf

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Karma can get you later though, maybe offer to pay them a little and help secure their network.

yes.
i told my neighbour i could get onto he's wifi nextwork now we go halves in the monthly costs.
look into it.
i'd slap seven shades of **** out of someone using my network

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.