Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lbyas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
Hello! I'm new to the forum and am at a complete loss as to what to do. Last year, the hard drive on our macbook gave out, so we had that, along with the battery replaced and the RAM upgraded. Fortunately, we were able to keep all of our data and the repair guy set up time machine for us and we were able to back everything up on an external hard drive as well. Just last night, the mac wouldn't boot up past the gray screen with the apple symbol, just like it did last time the hard drive gave out. Only this time, the mac will shut itself down after a few minutes of trying to boot. Our main concern is data loss, and while in recovery mode, we tried to back up all the new data we hadn't yet. It kept showing an error message and saying it couldn't back anything up and I'm worried it may have overwritten or erased our previous backups. I'm also wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it? Thank you in advance!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Just last night, the mac wouldn't boot up past the gray screen with the apple symbol, just like it did last time the hard drive gave out. Only this time, the mac will shut itself down after a few minutes of trying to boot.

Can you give us additional information about your Mac? Screen size, model year, etc.?

13" MacBook Pros have a somewhat fragile SATA cable, so that may need to be replaced.

2011 15" MacBook Pros have an issue that is currently covered by a repair extension. Check that out here.

Have you tried running Apple Hardware test or diagnostics?

Our main concern is data loss, and while in recovery mode, we tried to back up all the new data we hadn't yet. It kept showing an error message and saying it couldn't back anything up and I'm worried it may have overwritten or erased our previous backups. I'm also wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it? Thank you in advance!

Backups are really something that you do before something goes wrong.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
One of the best solution for your problem is to use Hi5 Software to Restore Mac Partition. This software is well known for recovering data from non booting drives, failed as well as corrupted drives.

Ive never heard of Hi5...and when I looked it up the system requirements listed off a bunch of versions of windows. Does it even work with HFS+ partitions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.