Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
If Apple decides to use the MacBook Air name, they are welcome to the domain.

For an undisclosed amount of hard cold cash i bet your as will.

How did this horrible name came to be anyways?

macbook air?

I think apple would rather continue a trend like the ipod line.

Macbook nano etc?

MACBOOK AIR? come on people slap yourselfs and ask why would would apple name his think laptop ..MACBOOK AIR?

macbook slim, macbook touch, macbook nano etc.

Steve Jobs came into the office one day wearing an old pair of Nike Air shoes. Ive's noticed and said "Nice shoes Steve, those New Balance shoes were boring. I mean think about it, Macbook Balance ... Lame ... Macbook Air ... that is cool." Steve liked the sound of that and told Ive's, "For making fun of my New Balance shoes I want you, Ives, to make a Macbook Air, and have it ready by MWSF 08!" That is how Macbook Air came to be.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Before the official unveiling, I was tempted. Right now I have a MacBook Pro (original release,) as my primary computer. It's now two years old, and a Core 2 and 802.11n would be nice; but the reveal made it a let-down.

Don't get me wrong, the computer itself is great, it's just extremely obviously not an acceptable replacement for a MacBook Pro. 1.8 GHz is fast, but even a Merom at 1.8 GHz is still slower than my Yonah 2.0 GHz for things like video encoding. 2 GB hard-limit isn't a big deal to me. The hard drive isn't a huge deal, although the 'upgrade fee' for SSD seems a bit exorbitant. The big deal-killer for me is the lack of FireWire. I have 5 external hard drives, and only one has USB on it. Plus, my current and likely next camcorders both are FireWire-only.

My secondary computer is an old eMac, which isn't even nearly acceptable for video editing in the world of H.264, and incapable of HD editing (for my likely next camcorder.) So upgrading the eMac to an iMac looks like the most likely upgrade at this point, although I'll probably wait for a quad-core iMac. Then maybe a MacBook Air to replace my MBP. (I had a 12" PowerBook before the MBP, and really wanted a true 'pro' small notebook, which the 12" PowerBook barely qualified as as it was.)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
arn, did you end up giving macbookair.com to Apple or are you just redirecting it for them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.