Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUserSGM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
Hello, I have a MB Pro Late 2013 13" that suffered (mild) water damage. I hope the post fits the thread it is partially hardware / partially software related:
- The computer works totally fine, as long as there is an external display connected to it. Note that also the internal display works totally fine in this case.
- If there is no external display connected, the computer always freezes about two seconds after the login screen appears.
- The computer boots fine into safe mode, even when only on internal display.
- The logic board has a fault (diagnosed by certified Apple service provider)
- I am almost certain is linked to U8330 and/or U8340 and the resistors / capacitors around. It is the only area showing water damage. (I know, hard to tell etc. but I think it is safe to work on this assumption for now.) Eventually I aim at replacing those parts and to see if this resolves the issue, but I need some time to improve soldering skills.
- My question(s):
1) I suspect that this could be connected with LCD PSR (Panel Self Refresh) mode for the internal display. Does somebody know if PSR is turned off in the internal display if there is an external display connected?
2) Other possibility could be the Hot Plug Detect voltage step up in U8340. Does someone know if the HPD signal of the internal display depends on whether ther is an external display present?
3) Does someone know which KEXT one would need to unload / alter in order to achieve the same behavior in the internal display as in the case when there is an external display connected even when there is no external displac present, i.e. possibly deactivate LCD PSR or the read-out of the HPD signal?

Yes, many people will now say spend the 300USD to get this logic board fixed or just start soldering. However, I am also curious to learn about MACOS workings and its interactions with hardware to see if it is possible to avoid using the faulty components. What motivates me is typing on a machine that is 100% fine - as long as there is an otherwise not required external dsiplay connected to it (which does reduce portability...) I guess sharing this curiousity is useful to engage in the issue!

Many thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.