Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCornWallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
United States
Been searching around the internet for information on this problem...Computer lost its Serial Number at some point.

Computer has been particularly problematic, as we installed installed 2133Mhz RAM and it did not like it (and we didn't realize it was an issue until later). Lots of crashes, now some OS corruption. We've rectified the issues.

That being said, there appears to be only 2 solutions to a missing Serial Number:
  1. Blank Board Serializer: I have tried this method; it doesn't work (sends me back to the host OS). The reasoning I have found is that this is NOT a blank board and WAS Serialized at some point.
  2. Take it to Apple: Haven't set up an appointment yet, but before I go through this nonsense...This model is listed as OBSOLETE. Doesn't that mean they won't touch it? Period?
Original Serial Number is still listed on the bottom plate and on the Logic Board sticker. Looking up the serial number shows a valid purchase date.

Is there really nothing else that can be done? Could a tool like this flash a serial number on it?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
[*]Blank Board Serializer: I have tried this method; it doesn't work (sends me back to the host OS). The reasoning I have found is that this is NOT a blank board and WAS Serialized at some point.
I've had a couple of 2013 Mac Pros that lost their serials. Blank Board Serializer fixed those. You might find an AASP who would be willing to try with their resources if they were around when the 2009 was a current model, but Apple definitely won't touch it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You didn't tell us which Mac you have or how old it is.

If it's more than a few years old and out-of-warranty, a very simplistic question:
What does it matter whether or not the Mac can identify itself with a serial number?

It either works...
or...
It doesn't work.

@KingCornWallis — I suss you’ve probably given a thorough System Management Controller (SMC) reset a try if you’ve also tried running the Blank Board Serializer (BBS), but in the event you haven’t just yet, here’s Apple’s archive-dot-org archive page for handling the unibody MBPs such as yours. Process of elimination and all. :)

The SMC reset steps (for the sake of future readers) for unibody, post-2008 to mid-2012 models:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

The BBS, at minimum for consumer Intel Macs, should permit a re-flashing of the SPI ROM chip which holds the serial number (unlike, as I understand it, a one-time, write-once/read-many shot for PowerPC-based boards, which use a different EPROM).

From the sound of the issues you faced before resolving most of them, there may have been an event, however unlikely, which corrupted data on that SPI ROM. An SMC reset ought to clear everything which, routinely, would have been saved in the past by a PRAM battery (unibody and later MBPs lacked these). With a reset SMC, this can at least eliminate anything stored in system parameters which might interfere with booting into and running the BBS utility.

Last bit: a tool like the one you pointed to on the ebay is probably not worth the cost, especially if you only had plans to try this on one board alone, and you aren’t, say, at an electronics recycler salvaging serviceable boards, in quantity, which can continue to be used as replacement parts in other Macs. Heck, for the price they charge for that device (which is just a tidy, but spendy way to do SPI ROM programming), you could probably pick up three or four mid-2012 MBPs in outstanding shape!

If it's more than a few years old and out-of-warranty, a very simplistic question:
What does it matter whether or not the Mac can identify itself with a serial number?

It probably doesn’t. But that really isn’t the point, nor is it the point of the question he was asking.

I have owned two Macs which arrived with no serial at all. Neither was in warranty or within the scope of AppleCare when I bought them. Both — a late 2005 PowerBook G4 and an early 2008 MacBook Pro 17 — had had Apple-authorized board replacements completed earlier in their lives (both with the green dot on the RAM bridge, though I’m only clear why the 2008 model had its board replaced).

Nevertheless, at least with the former, I went ahead, booted into the BBS utility and re-serialized the new board to sport the (interest, at least to me) serial on the manufacturing plate, despite the fact the board itself was manufactured several weeks after the laptop was assembled on “week 53” (literally, 26–31 December 2005).

Why did I do this? Because a) I wanted to and b) I wanted to learn from the experience. If there had been a c) a resolution to some of my system’s particular quirks (or restoring a past corruption to its original SPI/EPROM data), then that would have also been another reason for trying the BBS.

The other, my early 2008 MBP, still has not had BBS applied because I am le tired, I need le nap, and I plan to fire ze missiles later.

1689583377849.png

In ARD, that same Mac reports as the following:

1689583484107.png

“12345678”. That never ceases to amuse me. :)

From the original poster’s vantage, he is trying to troubleshoot a technical issue. Your response was not instructive.

It either works...
or...
It doesn't work.

Correct. And that was what he sought to verify with the community.

It is, additionally, possible he has long-term plans to sell it to someone who’s particular about the serial reported by the system matching what appears physically on the case itself (the logic board serial should be slightly different, as it is serial-labelled as a component, not as the whole system). That’s, equally, a valid reason.

Whatever the case, a serial vanishing on the original board is unusual, and I look forward to reading more of @KingCornWallis ’s troubleshooting steps as they unfold.

KingCornWallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
United States
Just a small update...Took it to the Apple Store. They have a specialty diagnostic software only privy to Genius Bars...and after plugging in an Ethernet Cable to connect, they confirmed with disbelief: "Wow, you really do have no serial number." And few minutes later they restored the SN on the bottom of MacBook...free of charge.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Did they restore your SN using Ethernet connection?
There’s a utility that Apple created to serialized logic boards that their genius bars and authorized service providers can access for this. Apple might still have a network bootable version of it, but probably not. The computer needs to boot into the specific Blank Board Serializer to write the serial to the logic board.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
If it's not the same Blank Board Serializer that's floating around, I'm wondering how long will it take until it's leaked to general public ;)

If it's not the same Blank Board Serializer that's floating around, I'm wondering how long will it take until it's leaked to general public ;)

Post-2013, very little gets leaked out from Apple, if the paucity of Apple Service Diagnostic manuals after that date are to be relied upon.

That isn’t to say there’s not a small, black-hat circle of hacker-crackers which has some or much of the post-2013 internal-only Mac documentation, schematics, and Genius Bar/internal developer software, but very little of post-2013 stuff is out there in the more usual corners of the internet.

It’s also possible, maybe plausibly so, these software utilities managed from the Genius Bar rely on a kind of phone-home cryptographic key which must be satisfied before the utility will launch, rendering it useless to all lacking that key. This would also be in keeping with how Apple use cryptographic mating/matching extensively on product components.

KingCornWallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
United States
I am really kicking myself for not properly recording the info, but all I had was a burner phone at the time. I asked a lot of questions about the software and here is roughly paraphrasing what I remember:
1. As you know, we don’t have any ASD’s for Mac’s post 2013. They are all now ‘server-based’ within apple stores
2. The software used to fix my serial number worked on my MacBook over Ethernet and was called something similar to ASD…they loaded up a software suite of ancient tools after connecting to my macbook and selected a service utility tool after performing a system scan
3. I asked how one gets access to said tool, and he said ‘it’s free; anyone can get access and make a Genius Bar. That what the (Apple Developer Portal?) is for.”

This was months ago, and I no longer have the phone. The dude was so nice though I should probably go back and ask again LOL

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
I think all the post 2013 stuff require GSX login. There's a document here http://jupiter.plymouth.edu/~tom/apple/AST_2_procedures.pdf about how AST2 (the stuff they now netboot into these days) differs from the old completely local AST you can find.

I haven't heard of any other tools that staff would have access to other than blank board serializer, it's not clear why the version OP originally tried didn't work.

Reactions: ojfd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.