Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
~Last year, my old 2016 Macbook Pro got completely unusable because of the keyboard issue (it started after a few months and wasn't a big deal, then it got much worse over time), so I bought a brand new Macbook Air 2018 thinking a keyboard cover will save me,
from the day one, I've put a keyboard cover over this new Air device, even used glue on the edges to make sure nothing gets in!

A few days ago, after about a year of usage, 2 of my keys (Space and R) started acting the same and pressing twice with one press...

I've seen that even experts claim the butterfly keyboard issue is because of tiny dust particles getting into the keyboard, which is why I thought a keyboard cover will protect me from this issue... well now I see that debris is not the cause at all!

Maybe the issue is caused by heat, because a few weeks ago, I used a video converter app and the laptop was hot for a long period...

Just thought I should share my experience, maybe it will be useful for some one else!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
~Last year, my old 2016 Macbook Pro got completely unusable because of the keyboard issue (it started after a few months and wasn't a big deal, then it got much worse over time), so I bought a brand new Macbook Air 2018 thinking a keyboard cover will save me,
from the day one, I've put a keyboard cover over this new Air device, even used glue on the edges to make sure nothing gets in!

A few days ago, after about a year of usage, 2 of my keys (Space and R) started acting the same and pressing twice with one press...

I've seen that even experts claim the butterfly keyboard issue is because of tiny dust particles getting into the keyboard, which is why I thought a keyboard cover will protect me from this issue... well now I see that debris is not the cause at all!

Maybe the issue is caused by heat, because a few weeks ago, I used a video converter app and the laptop was hot for a long period...

Just thought I should share my experience, maybe it will be useful for some one else!
These keyboards have a number of design issues which are well documented.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I purchased a 2016 13" MBP when the Butterfly keyboard was first introduced. I followed a long time about the keyboard and issues. I remember several people did claim the real failure in them is heat related which makes sense because you should be able to blow out the tiny particles.

I was fortunate and the 2 butterfly keyboards I had for over 4 years never failed me. I did not care for typing on them. I would have many typing mistakes using them.

Reactions: macpot

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I think one of the problems Apple had with solving the butterfly keyboard issue is that there are multiple potential causes for the failure, which is why the various revisions never quite eliminated the issue.

Perhaps they all have a common root in that the keyboard needs to be near-factory condition to work without issue and there are various things that can take it out of spec, such as heat, use/overuse, debris, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.