Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitochondrion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
I have a MacBook Pro with the T2 chip. It came with High Sierra preinstalled. When I Get Info the Macintosh HD on High Sierra, it says the Format is APFS (Encrypted). I have recently upgraded to Mojave and now it says the Format is APFS. It is no longer APFS (Encrypted).

I did not do a clean installation of Mojave. I simply just upgraded whilst retaining my data from High Sierra. I also never enabled FileVault.

I want to know does it mean my Mac is no longer encrypted? Is there a reason why it say APFS instead of APFS (Encrypted)? I have never tempered it, not even with Disk Utility.

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
All T2 based Macs have their content on the flash storage device encrypted. The difference between enabling FileVault and disabling it on a T2 Mac comes down to requiring a password to unlock the drive on boot. Adding a FileVault password makes it to where the decryption key for the T2 processor is wrapped by your password; therefore requiring credentials to unlock the device.

This is why it is not possible to recover data if your logic board fails, even if FileVault is disabled. The decryption key for your data (whether FileVault is enabled or not) is stored inside the Secure Element of the T2 chip.

So to answer your question. High Sierra mistakenly (or correctly depending on how you think about it) stated that your device was Encrypted APFS; which it is. However in Mojave to clear things up, it only shows that if you enable FileVault. (Which you should do for added security!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.