Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemike690

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
I've recently been offered to buy a 1984 Macintosh but it has the sad Mac face with the error code 01E000, what is it and is it easy to fix? Here is the description from the owner... "Apple Macintosh 1984 in good condition (Model No: M001WP 512K and serial no: F42709LM0001P. Height: 33 cm. Width: 24cm. Depth: 26cm.
Produces floppy disk sad face icon onscreen when powered up with no. 01E000 under it.
External Drive 800K (1985) Model No. MO131. Serial No: Y5COMMJ.
Keyboard Model No. MO110, Serial No: G422M011012822.
Mouse: Model No: MO100, Serial No: G419M01000034
Manuels including for computer and external drive.
Comes with original cardboard box. "

Is it worth it for around about $70USD?
EDIT: Also is this the model with the signatures inside the case? Thanks.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
From what I understand, the error code indicates a bad ROM. This could be due to missing ROM chip, bent or broken pins on the ROM chip, corrosion (from battery leak), or other failed IC - or something else I haven't considered. :eek:

The keyboard and mouse appear to be younger than the machine itself - not an issue, just an observation based on their serial number.

The serial number of the machine can only REALLY tell you when the front panel was serialized (in your case week 27 of 1984), since any number of components/modules inside could have been replaced (which is reasonable given it's age).

A picture of the front AND the rear would be an advantage, but it won't tell much more other than what might be inside.

As for it's value, I recently bought a non-working MacPlus that had been upgraded from a 128K, simply to get the front panel, as somebody had used a rough scouring pad to remove a sticky label from the one I already had, long before I acquired it. I paid AU$75 just for that - but I was desperate. o_O :oops:

I have a small advantage that I used to repair these machines when they were new.

You really need to think about why you're buying it, and how much time, effort and probably $$$ you're willing to expend to get it going again.

As for the signatures, all the 128K, 512K, 512Ke and Mac Plus' have the signatures inside

mikemike690

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
From what I understand, the error code indicates a bad ROM. This could be due to missing ROM chip, bent or broken pins on the ROM chip, corrosion (from battery leak), or other failed IC - or something else I haven't considered. :eek:

The keyboard and mouse appear to be younger than the machine itself - not an issue, just an observation based on their serial number.

The serial number of the machine can only REALLY tell you when the front panel was serialized (in your case week 27 of 1984), since any number of components/modules inside could have been replaced (which is reasonable given it's age).

A picture of the front AND the rear would be an advantage, but it won't tell much more other than what might be inside.

As for it's value, I recently bought a non-working MacPlus that had been upgraded from a 128K, simply to get the front panel, as somebody had used a rough scouring pad to remove a sticky label from the one I already had, long before I acquired it. I paid AU$75 just for that - but I was desperate. o_O :oops:

I have a small advantage that I used to repair these machines when they were new.

You really need to think about why you're buying it, and how much time, effort and probably $$$ you're willing to expend to get it going again.

As for the signatures, all the 128K, 512K, 512Ke and Mac Plus' have the signatures inside
Nice thanks! I have got a photo of the front and its the original faceplate without the Macintosh writing, but it still has the retro logo. If I asked the seller for a picture of the battery compartment would that basically tell me whether it had leaked or not? Also how expensive would it be to buy a new ROM chip if its missing/broken? Thanks.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Well, a photo of the battery compartment would tell you if a battery had leaked or not, but only on that board. The reality is, the board could have been swapped with a working one, leaving the chassis and motherboard with corrosion.

I'm not saying that the seller is trying to 'pull a fast one', but "caveat emptor".

As for the cost of a ROM, they occasionally show up on eBay, or there may be other sites where you can purchase one, but it's going to be up to the vendor as to what they want for it. I've seen them from $10 to $50 plus postage. You may need to buy two machines to make one working machine, or this machine and a motherboard. Then you may find the floppy drive requires repair or replacement.

You'll also need to determine what logic board it actually has, what floppy drive it has, and what IWM chip it has. These together will determine what ROM(s) you may need - if at all.

The other option is to sign-up over at 68kmla.org and see if anybody there has the parts available, but you still need to determine what the actual fault is first. From my experience, sometimes the obvious diagnosis is not correct.

I can only advise on what the error code means. That does NOT mean that is definitely what the fault actually is (though it's a starting point).

These machines are so old now, that they really are a labor of love, and will most likely take time, effort and money to get back to working condition. I feel really old now. o_O :D

mikemike690

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
Well, a photo of the battery compartment would tell you if a battery had leaked or not, but only on that board. The reality is, the board could have been swapped with a working one, leaving the chassis and motherboard with corrosion.

I'm not saying that the seller is trying to 'pull a fast one', but "caveat emptor".

As for the cost of a ROM, they occasionally show up on eBay, or there may be other sites where you can purchase one, but it's going to be up to the vendor as to what they want for it. I've seen them from $10 to $50 plus postage. You may need to buy two machines to make one working machine, or this machine and a motherboard. Then you may find the floppy drive requires repair or replacement.

You'll also need to determine what logic board it actually has, what floppy drive it has, and what IWM chip it has. These together will determine what ROM(s) you may need - if at all.

The other option is to sign-up over at 68kmla.org and see if anybody there has the parts available, but you still need to determine what the actual fault is first. From my experience, sometimes the obvious diagnosis is not correct.

I can only advise on what the error code means. That does NOT mean that is definitely what the fault actually is (though it's a starting point).

These machines are so old now, that they really are a labor of love, and will most likely take time, effort and money to get back to working condition. I feel really old now. o_O :D
Haha thanks, is it possible to use the built in diagnostics? If so what is the button combination? Thanks.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Isn't there one using a reset switch somewhere? Apparently it locates the bad chips on the board?
The same POST can tell you which RAM chip is bad. But the ROM test is a pass or fail. Holding the programmer's switch will also produce an error code.

Perhaps you're combining the two from memory. :oops:

mikemike690

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
The same POST can tell you which RAM chip is bad. But the ROM test is a pass or fail. Holding the programmer's switch will also produce an error code.

Perhaps you're combining the two from memory. :oops:
Yeah I don't have any experience so I'm getting heaps of mismatched stuff. If I private message you something could you give your opinion on it? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.