Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mneitzel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
So I open case to remove battery , and I hit end of display tube. Now no display and electrical burning smell. So dead tube? Save drive and motherboard and dispose of rest? Any else I can do?

tony359

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2018
if you broke the end of the tube - you broke the glass - then the tube is dead I'm afraid. Please be cautious, the tube ia a giant capacitor and can retain dangerous voltages when off. The Mac will have tens of thousands of volts when working in it.

Astro13

Cancelled
Nov 4, 2023
I’m sorry my dude, that Mac’s gone. Tubes are hard to come by in the wild. The burning electronics smell could also be your power board capacitors doing what they always do, making a mess of everything

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Even though this is an old thread now, it's worth adding for others reading it that it isn't difficult to get replacement CRTs for compact Macs. They appear reasonably often on eBay, along with parts machines. In a case like this one, that is what I would do rather than strip an otherwise viable vintage system and dispose of the rest.

There are even some who replace the CRT with an LCD panel.

Also worth noting that it is easy to discharge any residual voltage from the CRT anode when working inside the system, and that the Classics have a 'bleed' capacitor which discharges the CRT when not powered, so with care there's little danger.

Astro13

Cancelled
Nov 4, 2023
Even though this is an old thread now, it's worth adding for others reading it that it isn't difficult to get replacement CRTs for compact Macs. They appear reasonably often on eBay, along with parts machines. In a case like this one, that is what I would do rather than strip an otherwise viable vintage system and dispose of the rest

There are even some who replace the CRT with an LCD panel.

Also worth noting that it is easy to discharge any residual voltage from the CRT anode when working inside the system, and that the Classics have a 'bleed' capacitor which discharges the CRT when not powered, so with care there's little danger.
In my limited experience, and the fact that I live in Canada, I have found these tubes insanely expensive when they do pop up, and they rarely pop up. I may just suck at eBay searching.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
In my limited experience, and the fact that I live in Canada, I have found these tubes insanely expensive when they do pop up, and they rarely pop up. I may just suck at eBay searching.
I suspect that like everything to do with old computers, it's about the luck of the draw. There are a few on eBay (US) right now and they typically go for $35-$45 (again, US). These CRTs are interchangeable between some of the compact Mac models, so not just Classics.

Unfortunately I can't recall details of which are compatible and which are not.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
The OP's CRT is replaceable, and not usually at great expense - but Classic analog boards are notorious for problems, and known-good ones aren't all that common on eBay. They are mostly repairable at least, for someone with the right skills since they're fairly basic boards. Old capacitors and heat are the common culprits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.