Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebman28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
New 27" Mac, was going to reinstall El Capitan. Followed these instructions : https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21973?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Now in Disk Utility the indented Macintosh HD drive is missing. When I go in to reinstall the OS X ,Macintosh HD is missing.

I tried starting in about every mode with no success. With a tech at apple for an hour couldn't figure it out and said I needed to bring it in. Seems strange that there isn't anything I can do.

I have an appointment at the apple store but I thought I'd see if anyone had advice so I could forego the appointment.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: kaans

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
New 27" Mac, was going to reinstall El Capitan. Followed these instructions : https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21973?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Now in Disk Utility the indented Macintosh HD drive is missing. When I go in to reinstall the OS X ,Macintosh HD is missing.

I tried starting in about every mode with no success. With a tech at apple for an hour couldn't figure it out and said I needed to bring it in. Seems strange that there isn't anything I can do.

I have an appointment at the apple store but I thought I'd see if anyone had advice so I could forego the appointment.

So just to confirm, nothing shows up in Disk Utility? Or is it just the indented volume that isn't visible?

Because you could try clicking the master HDD and then selecting Erase which should then create a new volume, and it'll be back. What happens when you try to do that?

sebman28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
Fusion drive shows up nut not the indented Macintosh HD. The recovery disk is there. Clicking on the Fusion drive and trying to partition or first aid do not work.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you get nowhere, take it to the nearest Apple Store -- it's still under warranty.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It sounds like you inadvertently separated the Fusion drive. Try this...

Hold command-option-r to boot to Internet recovery. Once you choose your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility loads. Once that is done you will see the recovery screen. Click in the utilities menu up top and select Terminal. Type in the line below exactly like I have it including the quotes and hit return. That will kill the Fusion drive.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Now quit Terminal and launch Disk Utility. It should look like this and offer to fix the Fusion drive. Go ahead and tell it to fix it and it will combine the two drives and format.

Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS X.

fusion_drive_disk_error.png

Last edited:

sebman28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
Weaselboy, I believe you were on the right track. I had my appointment at the Apple Store today and the first thing he did when it would only start in recovery mode was go to the terminal. It didn't take him long so I'm assuming he probably typed in what you mentioned there and then the disc was created then they want to head and installed OS X.

I'm doing the user set up right now transferring data so I'm hoping that this is the end of it reply to this post and let you know the outcome.

Thank you all for replying!!! this with my second iMac in a month! My first had a motherboard issue so you can imagine my frustration.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Weaselboy, I believe you were on the right track. I had my appointment at the Apple Store today and the first thing he did when it would only start in recovery mode was go to the terminal. It didn't take him long so I'm assuming he probably typed in what you mentioned there and then the disc was created then they want to head and installed OS X.

I'm doing the user set up right now transferring data so I'm hoping that this is the end of it reply to this post and let you know the outcome.

Thank you all for replying!!! this with my second iMac in a month! My first had a motherboard issue so you can imagine my frustration.

This is interesting, what caused the missing mac hd, fusion drive separates? -thats new to me how does that happen

sebman28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
I'm still not sure what caused it. The apple tech gave me his # so I'm going to call him for further explanation just in case I need to do it again.

The strange thing is that when set-up finished in Disk Utility there are now two Internal Macintosh HD drives?
  • APPLE HDD ST2000DM001>Macintosh HD - Fusion Drive 2 TB capacity - This is the start up drive where the OS and everything else is loaded properly.
  • APPLE SSD SM0128G>Macintosh HD II (renamed since both were "Macintosh HD") 120.99 capacity
I'm guessing that my Fusion Drive was De-Fused?
Should I be worried about the SSD showing up under Internal and not Disk Images?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Run the two commands below in Terminal one after the other and tell us the output of both. Also post up a screenshot of Disk Utility.

Code:
diskutil list

diskutil cs list

Reactions: 997440

sebman28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
iMac:~ sebman$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 2.0 TB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD II 121.0 GB disk1s2

iMac:~ sebman$ diskutil cs list

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

iMac:~ sebman$
http://postimg.org/image/s7nxjqub9/

http://postimg.org/image/b45k12xp5/

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeesh.... well obviously the Apple tech had no clue what they were doing. You do not have a Fusion drive setup. You have the 2TB hard drive with the OS and everything else installed on it, then the SSD sitting there empty and unused.

Go back to a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery and once you get past the globe and to the recovery screen, try to start Disk Utility and see if it offers to fix the Fusion drive like I described earlier. If it does not... just quit Disk Util and from that same recovery screen launch Terminal from the Utilities menu then enter the commands below one after the other.

Code:
diskutil cs createLVG "LVG-1" /dev/disk0 /dev/disk1

diskutil cs createLV "LVG-1" HFS+J "Macintosh HD" 100%

That should create the Fusion drive. Then you can reinstall the OS from recovery. To verify run "diskutil cs list" for me again. The output should look like the one below here, except your Macintosh HD at the top will be 2.1TB.

Code:
xxx-Mac-mini:~ xxx$ diskutil cs list
    CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)
    |
    +-- Logical Volume Group 31CBA650-4ABC-4DA6-AA73-6D96B36693E2
        =====================================================
        Name:         Macintosh HD
        Size:         1120333979648 B (1.1 TB)
        Free Space:   0 B (0 B)
        |
        +-< Physical Volume F4A50F9C-841D-4C6D-AFC4-6A10560E0717
        |   ----------------------------------------------------
        |   Index:    0
        |   Disk:     disk0s2
        |   Status:   Online
        |   Size:     120988852224 B (121.0 GB)
        |
        +-< Physical Volume C86789FD-1978-453A-BCA7-81DC05AA66C7
        |   Index:    1
        |   Disk:     disk1s2
        |   Size:     999345127424 B (999.3 GB)
        |
        +-> Logical Volume Family AA92FDF8-F962-4DE3-AC2F-1B6ABF22AA22
            ------------------------------------------------------
            Encryption Status:       Unlocked
            Encryption Type:         None
            Conversion Status:       NoConversion
            Conversion Direction:    -none-
            Has Encrypted Extents:   No
            Fully Secure:            No
            Passphrase Required:     No
            |
            +-> Logical Volume B97C9558-14FC-4BFC-B413-AFB292BD29F0
                -----------------------------------------------
                Disk:               disk2
                Size (Total):       1115853029376 B (1.1 TB)
                Size (Converted):   -none-
                Revertible:         No
                LV Name:            Macintosh HD
                Volume Name:        Macintosh HD
                Content Hint:       Apple_HFS

Of course, make sure you are backed up because this will wipe the drives.

MelisaFilm

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016
It sounds like you inadvertently separated the Fusion drive. Try this...

Hold command-option-r to boot to Internet recovery. Once you choose your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility loads. Once that is done you will see the recovery screen. Click in the utilities menu up top and select Terminal. Type in the line below exactly like I have it including the quotes and hit return. That will kill the Fusion drive.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Now quit Terminal and launch Disk Utility.
Then we partition the harddisc, creating a new partition for mac to reinstall OSX. Thank you for your terminal code. Before that code, there was no way to create a partition.

View attachment 603786

HaraldB

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Norway
I was really stuck when "Machintosh HD" was lost and not visible in Disc Utility (in recovery mode). I could see discs in "diskutil list" but nothing helped. I've scanned site after site for a solution, but couldn't find it befor I found your code.

Code:

It gave a error running it. But somehow it made my disk visible in Disk Utility again!!!

I could then partition the "untitle" to a new "Macintosh HD" and finally reinstall OS.

HelpMeRecover

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2018
Yeesh.... well obviously the Apple tech had no clue what they were doing. You do not have a Fusion drive setup. You have the 2TB hard drive with the OS and everything else installed on it, then the SSD sitting there empty and unused.

Go back to a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery and once you get past the globe and to the recovery screen, try to start Disk Utility and see if it offers to fix the Fusion drive like I described earlier. If it does not... just quit Disk Util and from that same recovery screen launch Terminal from the Utilities menu then enter the commands below one after the other.

Code:

That should create the Fusion drive. Then you can reinstall the OS from recovery. To verify run "diskutil cs list" for me again. The output should look like the one below here, except your Macintosh HD at the top will be 2.1TB.

Code:
    |
        |
        |
        |
            |

[doublepost=1541827636][/doublepost]Like an idiot I deleted macintosh HD...
Thank you, thank you I have been trying to fix this mess for a three days and this has fixed my issue!!

Reactions: Weaselboy

RhondaSL

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
[doublepost=1541827636][/doublepost]Like an idiot I deleted macintosh HD...
Thank you, thank you I have been trying to fix this mess for a three days and this has fixed my issue!!
[doublepost=1545003264][/doublepost]Hoping you are still available for help I’ve been trying all these commands in terminal because my Macintosh hard drive went missing when I was in disk utility. I have no idea why
[doublepost=1545005464][/doublepost]

Code:

Code:
    |
        |
        |
        |
            |

I’m having a similar problem but when trying all of the advises codes my Macintosh hd has still not reappeared. I have an appointment in a few hours at Best Buy and an appointment at Apple Wednesday as back up. This all started when I did the safari update. Safari wasn’t working so I tried to fix. While i was using disk utility my Mac hd vanished. Now I can’t run the reinstall OS X. I think this could be because volume is higher than capacity?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I’m having a similar problem but when trying all of the advises codes my Macintosh hd has still not reappeared. I have an appointment in a few hours at Best Buy and an appointment at Apple Wednesday as back up. This all started when I did the safari update. Safari wasn’t working so I tried to fix. While i was using disk utility my Mac hd vanished. Now I can’t run the reinstall OS X. I think this could be because volume is higher than capacity?

It could be, but it is odd this started the same time you were messing about in Terminal. My guess is you broke something with one of those Terminal commands.

Tashamoni

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
Run the two commands below in Terminal one after the other and tell us the output of both. Also post up a screenshot of Disk Utility.

Code:
diskutil list

diskutil cs list

Please can I ask your advice!
I have the same issue...after trying to reboot an old IMac that was gifted to my daughter for Xmas.

I have somehow replaced Macintosh HD with El Capitan update and although I’ve tried to erase it said it cannot unmount disk.
Can I ask for your help?
Thanks & best wishes
Tash
[doublepost=1545923266][/doublepost]
398727DD-67B1-4664-810E-BC11B7B43ADD.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have somehow replaced Macintosh HD with El Capitan update and although I’ve tried to erase it said it cannot unmount disk.
It sounds like you are booted to the command-r disk based recovery and the drive cannot be formatted since you are booted to it.

Try holding command-option-r at boot to get to Internet recovery to do this. After selecting your wifi you should see a grey spinning globe as the recovery utility downloads.

Tashamoni

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
It sounds like you are booted to the command-r disk based recovery and the drive cannot be formatted since you are booted to it.

Try holding command-option-r at boot to get to Internet recovery to do this. After selecting your wifi you should see a grey spinning globe as the recovery utility downloads.

I think it’s a 2007 Mac so does that mean it’s pre internet recovery?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think it’s a 2007 Mac so does that mean it’s pre internet recovery?
Yep... that is a problem. Do you have access to another Mac you can use to make a USB installer from the El Capitan download?

Or without erasing the drive can you just reinstall El Capitan to get this machine up and running, then use it to make the USB installer you could boot to.

Tashamoni

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
Yep... that is a problem. Do you have access to another Mac you can use to make a USB installer from the El Capitan download?

Or without erasing the drive can you just reinstall El Capitan to get this machine up and running, then use it to make the USB installer you could boot to.

Yep I have El Capitan saved on a usb. But I’m not entirely sure how to run it. When I fire it up with usb in, it still brings up the 4 options in the recovery window. Do I select install osx and that should show?

Bworkman0101

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019

Code:

Code:
    |
        |
        |
        |
            |

I know this is super old but I’m stuck in the same boat and have no Macintosh HD disk to select in my disk Utility any chance someone may be able to help.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 571

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I know this is super old but I’m stuck in the same boat and have no Macintosh HD disk to select in my disk Utility any chance someone may be able to help.

Thanks
What year and model Mac do you have?

Can you command-option-r boot to Internet recovery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.