Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hey guys,

I was trying to format OS X because firevault encryption was paused thanks to Yosemite...Anyways, I think I have f'ed up and all I see in disk utility after booting using CMD+R is this:
attachment.php

There is no partition and there is no way to add one. I can not install a new version of OS X or do anything because there is no disk.

By the way, recovery HD is also locked also when trying to install through that.

What should I do???

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 836
Last edited:

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
the point of that is to allow disk utility to make the disk functional again.

do you know if you were in Internet recovery? did it ask you to connect to Wi-Fi during the Recovery restart?

I'd try to force an Internet recovery command option r
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718

and see if that disk utility can just erase the disk

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Its a Core Storage volume so Disk Utility can't manage your partitions. I had the same when FV2 hung on mine, full format and reinstall (then revert the Core Storage back to HFS), worked for me. You can see at the bottom of the screenshot they "Type" is Logical Volume Group - ie Core Storage.

For me I booted off a pre-made USB installer made with DiskmakerX, formatted etc from there...

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
the point of that is to allow disk utility to make the disk functional again.

do you know if you were in Internet recovery? did it ask you to connect to Wi-Fi during the Recovery restart?

I'd try to force an Internet recovery command option r
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718

and see if that disk utility can just erase the disk

I tried internet recovery using command+option+R and the same thing happens. I get to the OS X utilities page and I have the option to go to disk utility/Reinstall OS X/Get Help Online/Restore From Time Machine.

And the same thing happens in Disk Utility. There is no partitions under Macintosh HD. Basically there is no startup disk and no where to install OS X using any method.

----------

Its a Core Storage volume so Disk Utility can't manage your partitions. I had the same when FV2 hung on mine, full format and reinstall (then revert the Core Storage back to HFS), worked for me. You can see at the bottom of the screenshot they "Type" is Logical Volume Group - ie Core Storage.

For me I booted off a pre-made USB installer made with DiskmakerX, formatted etc from there...

I have an extra 32GB USB. Right now I inserted that and I am installing OS X Yosemite on the USB stick based on what you said.

What is next? How do you format the internal hard drive then?

Cheers!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I tried internet recovery using command+option+R and the same thing happens. I get to the OS X utilities page and I have the option to go to disk utility/Reinstall OS X/Get Help Online/Restore From Time Machine.

And the same thing happens in Disk Utility. There is no partitions under Macintosh HD. Basically there is no startup disk and no where to install OS X using any method.

You will need to be booted off a volume other than the Macintosh HD volume in order to format it.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
You will need to be booted off a volume other than the Macintosh HD volume in order to format it.

This is great...5 hours to download additional components onto the USB and going up...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
What is next? How do you format the internal hard drive then?

Cheers!

Boot from the USB, then DU run from the USB should give you an option to format/partition, then run the Yosemite installer.

Once installed I ran the Core Storage revert commands to change it back to "normal" storage.

This thread has the revert commands to run.

----------

This is great...5 hours to download additional components onto the USB and going up...

Bummer, still its too late for me to tell you to make a USB with DiskmakerX beforehand :(

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Boot from the USB, then DU run from the USB should give you an option to format/partition, then run the Yosemite installer.

Once installed I ran the Core Storage revert commands to change it back to "normal" storage.

This thread has the revert commands to run.

----------

I don't really understand much past the point of creating an installer on the USB using DiskMakerX. I am creating that using another MacBook right now. After that is done my assumption is to hold down the option key and boot from that and install Yosemite? Is there a guide on how to do this?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I don't really understand much past the point of creating an installer on the USB using DiskMakerX. I am creating that using another MacBook right now. After that is done my assumption is to hold down the option key and boot from that and install Yosemite? Is there a guide on how to do this?

Not that I know of but you basically boot off the USB, then run DU to format the target drive, then run the installer and install OSX.

Get OSX installed first, we can worry about reverting the Core Storage later - but don't run Filevault again until reverted.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Not that I know of but you basically boot off the USB, then run DU to format the target drive, then run the installer and install OSX.

Get OSX installed first, we can worry about reverting the Core Storage later - but don't run Filevault again until reverted.

I'm kind of confused. How can I boot off the USB? You mean install Yosemite on the USB and then boot off that? Or boot off an empty USB?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I'm kind of confused. How can I boot off the USB? You mean install Yosemite on the USB and then boot off that? Or boot off an empty USB?

Download DiskmakerX from here

When you run it it should find your Yosemite installer file you also downloaded. It will then make a bootable USB drive on your 32GB USB stick.

Then boot off that USB, then you can run Disk Utility and format your mac drive, then you can run the Yosemite installer app on the USB stick and install Yosemite onto your Mac drive, when complete you can restart off the internal drive.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Download DiskmakerX from here

When you run it it should find your Yosemite installer file you also downloaded. It will then make a bootable USB drive on your 32GB USB stick.

Then boot off that USB, then you can run Disk Utility and format your mac drive, then you can run the Yosemite installer app on the USB stick and install Yosemite onto your Mac drive, when complete you can restart off the internal drive.

I now booted from the USB and have a disk utility menu, but is identical to the DU menu if I boot into the internal drive. There is still no way to format the internal SSD...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I now booted from the USB and have a disk utility menu, but is identical to the DU menu if I boot into the internal drive. There is still no way to format the internal SSD...

In that case follow the commands in the thread I linked to to delete the Core Storage Volumes. You would still need to be booted from an external disk or USB so nothing wasted so far.

Go into Terminal and run:

diskutil cs delete disk1

That should remove Core Storage, then you can select the drive with DU and partition as normal.

Its nearly midnight here so I'll sign off, more info in that thread I linked to...

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
In that case follow the commands in the thread I linked to to delete the Core Storage Volumes. You would still need to be booted from an external disk or USB so nothing wasted so far.

Go into Terminal and run:

diskutil cs delete disk1

That should remove Core Storage, then you can select the drive with DU and partition as normal.

Its nearly midnight here so I'll sign off, more info in that thread I linked to...

You are awesome!!! It got fixed doing what you said!

Thank you <3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.