Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

308RR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
I have a Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6,

Quick recap, I initially wanted to install Windows through Bootcamp but it for some reason failed once the laptop restarted to boot the Windows installer disc, the disc ejected and it only said "no bootable device, insert boot disk and press any key". Could be an issue with the installer CD disc as its not an OEM disc,

Because it failed, I did not bother going forward with installing Windows so I rebooted into macOS to revert it. I went into Disk Utility and saw the already partitioned "BOOTCAMP" volume from the failed installation and proceeded to remove that partition because it had nothing in it. However now I see that my Macintosh HD volume had not changed in size, it still shows 250GB (I had split equally 250GB each for macOS and Windows).

To add to the confusion, if I look into the "Storage" section in "About This Mac", it will show that "Macintosh HD" has the full 500GB capacity, but not in Disk Utility.

If anyone has any idea on fixing this please do chime in. I'd rather not do a clean macOS reinstall, but if I have to, then I will.

Cheers,
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 16.35.39.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 16.42.52.png

ferko86

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2017
Sweden
i woyuld try to boot in recovery mode and try to troubleshoot from there.

1. Try to recover the "ghost" partition in recovery mode ( CMD + R at boot)
2. Buy new hdd :)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I find this stuff very confusing in APFS too. However, I'm pretty sure everything is OK and the free space is still there. As I understand, in your screenshot "Container disk1" would have a total of 500gb. "Macintosh HD" is volume inside that container and can expand as needed up to 500gb as you add files. It is just showing 249gb because of your previous Windows partition. See this:

308RR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
Okay apparently the issue fixed itself. Macintosh HD now shows 500GB in Disk Utility.

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.