Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Y-NR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I've got a 2016 MacBook and the screen went black and a folder icon with a question mark showed up. When I went into recovery mode, the disk utility is only showing the MacOS Base System.
IMG_9324.jpeg

On the terminal, when I type in "diskutil list", this is what comes up.
IMG_9325.jpeg
IMG_9326.jpeg
IMG_9327.jpeg

And when I type in "diskutil cs list", it shows this:
IMG_9328.jpeg

Even when I tried to reinstall the operating system, there is no disk that I can select to install the OS onto. After going into recovery mode, when I turn the MacBook off and turn it on again, it goes to the login screen but when I type in the password it doesn't work even though I'm sure it's the correct password. I tried using the terminal in recovery mode to reset the password by typing in "resetpassword" but there is no volume to choose from.
IMG_9329.jpeg

Also, I don't have a backup, so is there any way for me to fix this without losing any of my saved files/data? Help. Please.

Sincerely,
Me

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If the drive doesn't appear in the Disk Utility (be sure to try the View icon, setting that for "Show All Devices")
And, the drive is not listed in anything that you try in the terminal (diskutil [whatever command]), then you can assume that the storage drive has failed.
If, as you said, you have a 2016 MacBook (not a MacBook Pro), then that boot/storage drive is soldered to the logic board. You have to replace that logic board to fix, and the data on that drive is (probably) not recoverable.
I think the only 2016 MacBook Pro that has a replaceable drive is the 13-inch with function keys (not the touchbar model)

Reactions: Y-NR

Y-NR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
If the drive doesn't appear in the Disk Utility (be sure to try the View icon, setting that for "Show All Devices")
And, the drive is not listed in anything that you try in the terminal (diskutil [whatever command]), then you can assume that the storage drive has failed.
If, as you said, you have a 2016 MacBook (not a MacBook Pro), then that boot/storage drive is soldered to the logic board. You have to replace that logic board to fix, and the data on that drive is (probably) not recoverable.
I think the only 2016 MacBook Pro that has a replaceable drive is the 13-inch with function keys (not the touchbar model)
Thanks, it does seem that it is a hardware issue so I will be taking it to repair to an Apple Store.

Y-NR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
@Y-NR

did you end up finding a solution or did the Apple Store give you a fix?

Thanks
@bobby23
I couldn't find the cause of this myself so I had to send it for repair. It was a problem with the hard drive which had to be replaced so I lost some of my data (luckily most of it was backed up on iCloud). It was fixed for free since it counted was labelled as the manufacturer's fault.

If you're having the same problem and have your receipt, try asking an Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP). When I took it to an Apple store, they said it would cost me around £500, but when I visited an AASP, they told me that this counts as a manufacturer defect and hence I am protected under Consumer Law from having to pay. They did all the legal stuff themselves and all I needed to do was give them the receipt and the MacBook and collect it back after a week.

Last edited:

bobby23

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I couldn't find the cause of this myself so I had to send it for repair. It was a problem with the hard drive which had to be replaced so I lost some of my data (luckily most of it was backed up on iCloud). It was fixed for free since it counted was labelled as the manufacturer's fault.

If you're having the same problem and have your receipt, try asking an Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP). When I took it to an Apple store, they said it would cost me around £500, but when I visited an AASP, they told me that this counts as a manufacturer defect and hence I am protected under Consumer Law from having to pay. They did all the legal stuff themselves and all I needed to do was give them the receipt and the MacBook and collect it back after a week.

I'm having the exact same problem, identical to your photos.

I have a few AASP's near me, so I'll give one of those a shot. Thank you so much for your response! Lot's of time digging around for a solution, and this one sounds perfect!

Y-NR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I'm having the exact same problem, identical to your photos.

I have a few AASP's near me, so I'll give one of those a shot. Thank you so much for your response! Lot's of time digging around for a solution, and this one sounds perfect!
No problem! I hope you get your device fixed just like I had mine :)

ipadosuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2020
Hey, having the same problem on my mid-2011 iMac. Should I take it to the store (an AASP)? I am trying to fix it right now in recovery mode. If not, I’ll take it. The Apple Store said the couldn’t do it because it is old and because we have a lockdown here we cannot leave it for them to fix it.

Y-NR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
Hey, having the same problem on my mid-2011 iMac. Should I take it to the store (an AASP)? I am trying to fix it right now in recovery mode. If not, I’ll take it. The Apple Store said the couldn’t do it because it is old and because we have a lockdown here we cannot leave it for them to fix it.
Extremely sorry for not replying, I got a notification but I forgot to reply. Not sure if you've had this sorted out yet but yes, the Consumer Law only applies to Macbooks in recent years. I think if it is an old Macbook and it is a hardware issue, you will have to pay to have it fixed.

PowerMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
I'm visiting a friend who has a MacBook 12" 2016 model (A1534 EMC 2991).
Same issue.

When starting up, it runs through the white Apple logo (like it's starting normally) but then comes with a kind of screen of dead, stating the computer started up because of a problem...

When starting in recovery mode (COMMAND R) if lucky it can get into Disk Utility, but then it only shows the 2GB base OS.

When starting from an external hard disk, I can run the terminal and then type "diskutil list".
I then see the internal harddisk.
Trying to erase the internal harddisk, it gives an error code "-69877: couldn't open device".

Looking in iFixit, this laptop is all glued together inside, and considered pretty difficult.
Then, looking at the price for repair, it is most probably a better idea to buy a new Apple Silicon MacBook Air: bigger screen, much faster processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.