Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pannonia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Hi, I hope someone can please kindly help me.
I updated my 2014 Macbook Air to Mojave recently. I used it for a few minutes, after that I shut it down, went on holidays and a week later when started it up again I got the prohibition symbol. I tried reinstalling OS trough internet recovery, ( the only recovery option that happens to start) and tried reinstall from time capsule backup as well . Neither of them works because as soon as I get to the point of unlocking the hard drive I can not type in the password as the password bar is not responding to anything. I can't click into it, and can't navigate into it with the arrrows either. I don't think it is a keyboard problem as I can type in the network password for the wifi to start reinstall trough internet recovery and I can also see the cursor arrow moving around when I circle my finger on the trackpad.
I also opened disk utility to see if I can run a first aid on the HD but the Macinthos HD icon is grey and it says it is not mounted. Is this connected to my original problem that I can not type in the password and if yes is there any way to get around it without losing my data? My time capsule backup is older than it should be and a few of my documents I'd love to keep are not on it so I would prefer to do it without totally erasing my Mac if at all avoidable...
Thank you in advance for all your responses!

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I understood that from your first posting, but I still think Audit13's advice is good. See if you can borrow a wired KB from a friend. Any kind will do, so long as it's USB.

My reasoning is that when something happens that makes no sense (your problem) then sometimes trying to fix it by doing something that appears to make no sense is worth trying.

Yeah, it seems crazy. But if I were you, I'd try it.

Pannonia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
I understood that from your first posting, but I still think Audit13's advice is good. See if you can borrow a wired KB from a friend. Any kind will do, so long as it's USB.

My reasoning is that when something happens that makes no sense (your problem) then sometimes trying to fix it by doing something that appears to make no sense is worth trying.

Yeah, it seems crazy. But if I were you, I'd try it.
Unfortunately doesn’t work.
Is there any way trying to salvage my documents trough another mac I have?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Maybe. Read up on "target disk mode," because it might be possible for the other Mac to see the drive, in which case you can probably just copy off what you need. Worth a try.

You'll have to find a cable that fits both. USB will work, I think. Also Thunderbolt. And ethernet too if both have ports.

This is a real headscratcher.

Reactions: Pannonia

Pannonia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Maybe. Read up on "target disk mode," because it might be possible for the other Mac to see the drive, in which case you can probably just copy off what you need. Worth a try.

You'll have to find a cable that fits both. USB will work, I think. Also Thunderbolt. And ethernet too if both have ports.

This is a real headscratcher.
Thank you, I’ll try this.

Pannonia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Thank you, I’ll try this.
So I tried everything else others suggested. Nothing worked. I got a Thunderbolt cable (original from Mac approved store) , connected my two Macs. The bastard shows the thunder sign floating around the screen, but the host Mac doesn't see the target disk in anything. Not in Disk Utility, or anything else... Is it over or do I have more options left to try?
By the way those in Apple store are really only there for show, he couldn't even start recovery mode on my poor MacBook....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.