Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
At a garage sale I found the case to a macintosh portable for 3 bucks I bought it and now I want to know if its work anything? so is it? the thing is missing a foot!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
jamesW135 said:
At a garage sale I found the case to a macintosh portable for 3 bucks I bought it and now I want to know if its work anything? so is it?

Just the case?

which one? Look it up on apple-history.com and post the name. there are so many portable things that Apple's made that I don't know what you're talking about....

and a search in mactracker for "portable" doesn't bring up anything.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
OHHHH!!!

I thought you meant like.. the case, like.. not a carrying case!

ooo, how big is it.. I want one if it can hold my PB... :)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Man.. as I google more and more about it, I really really want it...

Why can't we have awesome garage sales like this in Houston!?

*sobs*

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
jamesW135 said:
Yes, it is just the case I dont know what model but here is a picture

http://www.uknet.net/showcase/Museum/011_Macintosh_Portable_case.sized.jpg

that looks to me like an original case for the original Mac portable computer... ? So large but so was that portable, as I recall...

Might be worth something to someone who owns one of those. Maybe they were only prototypes, but I seem to recall in the late 80's some talk about them.

Take a look at it:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1005

Methinks this is an original Mac Portable case.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
California said:
that looks to me like an original case for the original Mac portable computer... ? So large but so was that portable, as I recall...

Might be worth something to someone who owns one of those. Maybe they were only prototypes, but I seem to recall in the late 80's some talk about them.

Take a look at it:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1005

Methinks this is an original Mac Portable case.
Yeah, that's the one.

17 lbs... I had to take these around to clients offices to sell them -- and look all cool and "yea it's PORTABLE - no problems" while I'm sweating underneath my smile humping this bloody brick around.

It had a Lead Acid battery, like a motorcycle. There was something you couldn't do with the ADB port (something like plugging in more than one mouse) because it would burn out the traces on the motherboard if it drew too much juice. Bizarre. THe first model had no backlight on the LCD, and you had to get the angle just right to see it. They came out with another model shortly after with an "improved" screen.

I had just bought Apple stock before this came out, and the price dropped like a stone as soon as the public saw the unit. This was near the end of the Scully years, if I remember.

Not The Best Times for Apple.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
jamesW135 said:
At a garage sale I found the case to a macintosh portable for 3 bucks I bought it and now I want to know if its work anything? so is it?

Nice case. Clean it up, stick it on ebay and I should think you will make maybe 10 times what you paid for it?

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Here is some pictures of mine, sorry about the quality of them.
I should have wiped the dust marks off it before taking the photos.

Attachments

• portable inside.jpg
    portable inside.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 140
  • portable.jpg
    portable.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 153

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
OHHHH!!!

It fits my ibook fine so it should hold you pb, its a really nice case and it has alot of compartments.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
jamesW135 said:
It fits my ibook fine so it should hold you pb, its a really nice case and it has alot of compartments.

You're kidding us? You've got a rare apple collectible and someone wants to use the oversized behemouth to tote around their current laptop? And you are using it for an iBook? I dont' think it is worth a mint, but I do think it deserves to go to someone with a real 1990 portable machine. In other words, I wouldn't be using it day to day. JMHO. Sell it to someone who appreciates it.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
katie ta achoo said:
OHHHH!!!

Are you serious?! It'd hold about twenty PB's! Think like a large electronic typewriter and you'll be half way there.

:eek:

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
California said:
You're kidding us? You've got a rare apple collectible and someone wants to use the oversized behemouth to tote around their current laptop? And you are using it for an iBook? I dont' think it is worth a mint, but I do think it deserves to go to someone with a real 1990 portable machine. In other words, I wouldn't be using it day to day. JMHO. Sell it to someone who appreciates it.

I do believe you're right however,

STOP CRITICIZING PEOPLE!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
California said:

Geez-- it's just a case. Not like he gutted an original Apple Portable. Just be a fun, kinda retro thing to use.

Marky_Mark said:
Are you serious?! It'd hold about twenty PB's! Think like a large electronic typewriter and you'll be half way there.
:eek:
I knew it was huge. Pad it out with some quilting fabric?

Man, that'd still be so cool to have...

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Well definly need some fabric on the sides but my ibook just clears it actually not in height but in width the thing was huge but not long.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
It's really only worth anything to someone who has a Portable (since it's too big for anything else.) Even then though, you might only get $5~$10 for it, I'm guessing.

How good a condition is it in? (Sorry, skimmed over most of this thread.) Clean it up and put it up somewhere, start your own Apple collection ;)

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Sorry I double posted. Can a mod or some admin delete this? SORRY!

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
The case itself is in great condition but its missing one foot.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
portables

I use to have 2 mac portables. one non backlit model and one with maclit(with rare canadian keyboard)which i later sold on ebay for $86

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
the 1st mac protable had 8-10 hours but now iBooks/PowerBooks get what 6 hours ( in real world less)

ANything Wrong with that PIc?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
zap2 said:
the 1st mac protable had 8-10 hours but now iBooks/PowerBooks get what 6 hours ( in real world less)

Ummm... no. Buy an extra battery and you'll have 12 hours in 1/3 the weight.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
:D

Yeah that's the original case and i've seen them cost quite a bit at auctions!

I still have a working Backlit Portable and the case.
(HD is dead, but it boots from floppy)

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
zap2 said:

You do know that the portable was less powerfull had no fans and wasnt light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.