Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
The SE FDHD my sister took to college still works. I upgraded to 4mb ram. 1 tab on motherboard broke but still hold the ram. Iturned it on almost 1 year ago exactly and jiggled the rocker switch back and forth a few times and it booted. Almost thought it was dead. Bought a few things on eBay like a Iomega bernoulli 90 pro. I had a 150 as a kid but got rid of most things. So I got another. Also the internal 20mb HD stopped being recognized. Probably dead. So I needed a boot option. So hence the external. And around October 2020 was still working. Then shortly after on one faithful day I tried to turn it on and some noise like it was trying to turn on but just died and refused to turn on. Completely dead and never turned on again. I left it plugged in all the time not sure if its good or not. I used it not as my daily computer but just for nostalgia sake a few hours every day for few months so I just left it plugged in. After it stopped working I unplugged it and put it in storage for 6 months. I checked every few weeks and no turning on. And then today all off a sudden it just turned on and full screen with question mark. So it back from the dead again. So what is going on? Is it a bad power supply? Should I just sell it while it works? Why does it work for 6 moths and then just stop and the start again after unplugging it for 6 months? What is going on?

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Also plugged It in just now and both adb ports no mouse or keyboard working.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Really hard to say what the cause is. I recall that the mains switch at the rear would fail. Not sure which make of power supply had poor switches (there was at least a Sony or a Delta Astec branded PSU).

However, given it's age, it could be any number of other causes.

Last edited:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
I think you are right. Wow waste of 2800 dollars. Why do they release crap if they know its bad. I know its a lot. But it was not street or ebay. Got it in 1989 for my sister college 1988 to 1992.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
If you zoom in on the last pic you can see it says sony on the power supply.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
There were 3 models. Sony, Astec and Apple.

Looking thru page 73 of the pdf linked below, reveals it used to be the Apple branded PSU that suffered a bad switch. Further along it seems that the Sony has bad hybrid IC sub-boards that prevent power-up.

Could bad power supply also prevent the adb ports from working. Not enough power.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Accoring to this video astec are bad too. So not worth fixing.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Almost any 30+ year old switch mode power supply will need at least some if not all caps replacing.

"Worth" really depends on each individual's expectations.

As for the ADB port, that could be the R/C filter(s) on the logic board.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Still not working. Not worth fixing. But I just found this interesting video where he fixed a dead SE FDHD with bad ads ports. Not my issue necessarily but still cool none the less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.