Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony359

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Hello there
I’ve got some Macintosh SE to repair but I don’t have a mouse and keyboard.

I’m trying to find out what mouse and keyboard are going to work with that machine. I see online ‘Desktop bus mouse II’ but I have a feeling those won’t work.

What model exactly do I need - and is there a cheaper options available?

Thank you all!
Tony

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
You'll need to search for ADB mouse and ADB keyboard.

Pretty much any model will do!
And yep, they tend to be a tad pricey...

Reactions: tony359

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
Alternatively, you can get a Wombat adb-usb converter, if you're USA based they're easy to get from bigmessowires.com
Then you can use any current USB keyboard and/or mouse

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
FYI, normally regular SE's don't fail so easy, they don't have the dreaded leaking caps.
What they do suffer from are the exploding batteries (so called Maxel battery bombs), usually rendering the machine pretty much irreparable.
Have you opened it up yet? How is the general condition internally?

tony359

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Ah, man, the Wombat would be great and it's inexpensive. But I am not based in the US...

Yes, unfortunately one of the Macs has literally exploded inside, well beyond repair. The other three have small issues. I think one has a sad mac face, one has display issues and one potentially a faulty HDD.

Would the attached work? It's labelled as ADB but "II".

Thank you!

Attachments

• adb mouse.jpg
    adb mouse.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 52

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Ah, man, the Wombat would be great and it's inexpensive. But I am not based in the US...

Yes, unfortunately one of the Macs has literally exploded inside, well beyond repair. The other three have small issues. I think one has a sad mac face, one has display issues and one potentially a faulty HDD.

Would the attached work? It's labelled as ADB but "II".

Thank you!
Yes, that will work. The II is just the second generation of ADB mouse. It's still universally compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.