Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Today I decided to boot into the Recovery image to run Diskutil and check permisions after the recent upgrade to Yosemite. To my surprise I found not only my Mac SSD and Recovery image, but also an additional EFI.

At this time, I don't have ANY other operating systems installed, but prior to the release, I had both Mavericks & Yosemite installed (on different drives). I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not.

Mavericks was upgraded to the release version of Yosemite, and the Public Beta that was installed on a different drive has be deleted/re-formatted to a blank data drive.

Why do I have this EFI entry, and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I never use the option key boot, but I did this time and saw 3 boot options as listed in title. I didn't expect to see one labeled EFI, so you are saying this is Normal them?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I never use the option key boot, but I did this time and saw 3 boot options as listed in title. I didn't expect to see one labeled EFI, so you are saying this is Norman them?

Yes... there is always an EFI partition. It is free 200MB partition used by your Mac for firmware upgrades. What it does is download the firmware upgrade into the partition and expand it, then install it at the next reboot.

Totally normal.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yes... there is always an EFI partition. It is free 200MB partition used by your Mac for firmware upgrades. What it does is download the firmware upgrade into the partition and expand it, then install it at the next reboot.

Totally normal.

Great, thanks for that. I never noticed it before..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.