Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
I have had no luck searching on the internet for this issue and want to know if anyone else has experienced this.

It seems like if I have too many applications opened that use the video card, subsequently launched applications will display nothing.

Example:

I open Photos.app, and the window pops up, but instead of displaying my photos, I have magenta colored rectangles where each photo should be. If I close the program, and then close another program (usually Affinity Designer) and reopen Photos, it will open up fine.

I run into this on a daily basis. If I try to open a document in Affinity, it will show a dark grey window with nothing inside it. Elements are selectable still, it just won't display anything. If I close a YouTube tab in Firefox, or quit Outlook, and reopen Affinity, it will work.

It feels like there are a finite number of graphical instances that can be running, and I am going around having to close one thing to allow another to run. I can't find anywhere else on the internet that has described this issue!

I may have found the cause, or at least a reason I experienced it so much. My screen saver was an old x86 screen saver, and somehow it got stuck running in the background and was using multiple hundreds of percents of my GPU. I force quit it from Activity Monitor, and the issue has been less frequent.

I'm on the newest OS, M2 Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM. Please let me know if anyone has experienced similar. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.