Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadia p.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
I recently upgraded to macOS 10.13.3 and iTunes 12.7.3 thinking Apple should have fixed several bugs by now. I connected my iPhone 6s with the USB cable and was shocked to find that Contacts wouldn't sync at all, even when I attempted to replace all Contacts on iPhone from AddressBook.

After a long an painful discovery of trying to debug Apple's software (which should work seamlessly with supported Apple products). I had to revert back to OS X 10.11.6 and iTunes 12.3.3.17 in order to properly sync Contacts again. #(*$&% !!!

I'm appalled that Apple would even release software without even testing this basic fundamental feature, which should have been caught in regression tests.

I have confirmed it is not iOS that has the problem. The root cause I suspect would appear to be that Apple keeps changing the main database architecture and perhaps other departments didn't get the memo.

This issue seems to be a hot topic as it's been reported in several cases all over the internet in different languages.

I plan to remain on 10.11.6 until Apple gets there #($*%* together and starts releasing software with some sort of testing. This is pathetic! I hopes this post helps others to find a working solution more quickly that it took me, going back and testing 10.13.3 ->10.13.2 -> 10.13.1 -> 10.12.x -> 10.11.6.

Reactions: plustgarten

nadia p.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
I can confirm it's not iTunes software. I've upgraded iTunes 12.4.3 (2016-08-01), iTunes 12.6.2 (2017-07-19) and iTunes 12.7.3 (2018-01-23) and all of them sync successfully as expected.

This confirms it is macOS 10.12 and 10.13 !!! Such a waste of time.

A message to Apple, if you realize how much time you waste on a global basis for releasing @#$!* software and if you'd just put the man hours into testing it better everyone's quality of life would be significantly improved. We're tired of debugging your software, because you can't/won't do it. You'd think with all the money you make this wouldn't be an issue.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I recently upgraded to macOS 10.13.3 and iTunes 12.7.3 thinking Apple should have fixed several bugs by now. I connected my iPhone 6s with the USB cable and was shocked to find that Contacts wouldn't sync at all, even when I attempted to replace all Contacts on iPhone from AddressBook.

After a long an painful discovery of trying to debug Apple's software (which should work seamlessly with supported Apple products). I had to revert back to OS X 10.11.6 and iTunes 12.3.3.17 in order to properly sync Contacts again. #(*$&% !!!

I'm appalled that Apple would even release software without even testing this basic fundamental feature, which should have been caught in regression tests.

I have confirmed it is not iOS that has the problem. The root cause I suspect would appear to be that Apple keeps changing the main database architecture and perhaps other departments didn't get the memo.

This issue seems to be a hot topic as it's been reported in several cases all over the internet in different languages.

I plan to remain on 10.11.6 until Apple gets there #($*%* together and starts releasing software with some sort of testing. This is pathetic! I hopes this post helps others to find a working solution more quickly that it took me, going back and testing 10.13.3 ->10.13.2 -> 10.13.1 -> 10.12.x -> 10.11.6.

I may be having a similar issue. Didn't think the macOS was the culprit. o_O

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-3-6-contacts-not-syncing.2107136/#post-25842643

salsera

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
I've wasted hours researching same issue and have concluded that Apple is simply forcing us onto iCloud—despite our right to exercise minimal privacy concerns over our daily-life information: who we contact and what we do every day. Genius bar staff don't want to spend hours on this, and advise using the Cloud.

For me, both Contacts and Calendars synch only FROM phone to laptop—but not vice versa. After repeated research for many months, I finally synched Calendars on MacBook Pro / OS Sierra 10.12.16 with iphone 6 / iOS 11.2.6 by manually trashing 3 Calendar cache files in the Library folder and a .plist file. But I don't feel we should have to go to these lengths for each backup and Synch, given our preference to synch locally. And I still haven't found a workaround for Contacts, which still synch only FROM phone to laptop—but not from laptop to phone.

MANY thanks for any ideas out there?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.