Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 30, 2016
With the announcement of WWDC2017, as well as apple warning users that future versions of iOS will not support 32 bit apps, and the (hopeful) upgrade to the Apple File system, it got me thinking about the next versions of macOS and iOS’s system requirements. To begin with iOS, it is easy to figure this one out. All 32 bit deviCes will be dropped. Currently, that means the iPhone 5, iPod touch fifth GEN, and the 3rd and 4th GEN iPads. So the requirements would look like this:

• iPhone 5S, 6/6+, 6S/6S+, 7/7+, and SE
  • iPad Air, Air2, Pro 9.7 inch and Pro 12.9 inch
  • iPod touch 6th GEN only

This seems fair, because the iPhone 5 and the iPod touch 5 came out about 4/5 years ago, and are, of course, using outdated technology. How ever, this leaves the Mac. From 10.4 to 10.8, Apple removed support for macs that we're getting up there in age. How ever, from 10.8 to 10.11, apple did not change anything about its system requirements. 10.12 removed support for some 2007, 2008, and 2009 machines. Because of the introduction of a new file system, I believe that Apple will Drop even more computers this time. My theory is that Apple will drop support for computers without thunderbolt ports. This would also mean that all Macs with the outdated Core 2 Duo processors would be dropped as well. This would mean that all of the white MacBooks would lose support, all iMacs from 2009 and 2010 would lose support, all MacBook Pros from 2010 would lose support, All Mac Minis from 2010 would lose support, all MacBook Airs from 2010 would lose support, and lastly, and most unfortunately, all Mac Pros with out the new round design would lose support. That would mean that the system requirements looked like this:

• MacBook Pro (early 2011 and later
  • iMac, (mid 2011 and later)
  • MacBook Air, (mid 2011 and later
  • Mac mini, (mid 2011 and later
  • Mac Pro, (late 2013 and later

It's unfortunate, but this is the most logical list of devices I could come up with. The reason for all the Macs removal is because Apple is updating the file system, and that means all the Systems files will be updated. If this list is correct, that means that there would be removals of files and drivers for 9 different Mac models, with tones of different configurations and many older processors for different screen sizes, etc etc. This would mean that there would be a lot more free space available because old files would be removed, witch would equal a faster system. The same can be said about the removal of 32 bit devices on the iOS side. All the old device files would be removed from the OS, all the 32 bit apps would be removed, leaving the OS 64 bit only, witch means more storage and faster systems. Do you agree with me?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
iPod Touch 5th gen was dropped already with iOS 10, it maxes out at 9.3.5. Dropping iPhone 5 and 5c seems like a reasonable guess, as does iPad 4th Gen. The iPad Mini 3/4 will certainly still be supported.

For Macs, Thunderbolt per se won't be a requirement (e.g. the 12" Retina MacBook will be supported) but dropping anything with a C2D would not surprise me.

Reactions: Lounge vibes 05

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 30, 2016
iPod Touch 5th gen was dropped already with iOS 10, it maxes out at 9.3.5. Dropping iPhone 5 and 5c seems like a reasonable guess, as does iPad 4th Gen. The iPad Mini 3/4 will certainly still be supported.

For Macs, Thunderbolt per se won't be a requirement (e.g. the 12" Retina MacBook will be supported) but dropping anything with a C2D would not surprise me.
It isn't the thunderbolt port that will define it, but what I should have said is all computers with an Intel Sandy Bridge and newer, witch is the same list

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It isn't the thunderbolt port that will define it, but what I should have said is all computers with an Intel Sandy Bridge and newer, witch is the same list
Maybe. I'd guess anything Core i-series would be supported, e.g. Clarkdale/Lynnfield/Arrandale. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess we'll know in a few months. That would cover the Mid-2010 iMac and 15"/17" MacBook Pro, but not the 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook and not the MacBook Air.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Maybe. I'd guess anything Core i-series would be supported, e.g. Clarkdale/Lynnfield/Arrandale. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess we'll know in a few months. That would cover the Mid-2010 iMac and 15"/17" MacBook Pro, but not the 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook and not the MacBook Air.
I still say that it will probably be 2011 machines and up, because that's when Intel first introduced thunderbolt, and, currently there's only 3 computers that Apple still supports with the core two duo. So I agree that they'll probably kill those off, but the probably also kill off the first GEN I5 and I7s.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It's unfortunate, but this is the most logical list of devices I could come up with. The reason for all the Macs removal is because Apple is updating the file system, and that means all the Systems files will be updated.

This doesn't make any sense at all, at least to me. System files are updated at any update anyway.

The OS 64 bit only, witch means more storage and faster systems

I doubt it, there are still quite a lot of 32-bit apps around. It is true that the legacy 32-bit frameworks take some space, but its not that bad, and it certainly not making anything slower. If your app is 64-bit, the 32-bit framework code won't even get loaded. If you are using 32-bit apps though, yes, there will be some substantial RAM bloat as the frameworks needs to be loaded double...

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
I have installed Mac OS and Windows. In my experience, the basic requirements for any new OS is...
  • SSD
  • Fast 4GB RAM
The rest are details. Ironically, I could manage Windows 10 to run properly in some old slow machines, as a Dell i3 notebook with legacy HDD, but I still can't do it in Mac OS El Capitan that I use everyday.

For smartphones, usually the requirements are...
  • Latest or previous model (iPhone 6 or 7)
  • Not the cheapest option
Out of these minimum specs, life will be hard, it will always take some time to do even simple things (as to make a call), need frequent interventions (close apps or process), need maintenance apps and a lot of patience!

GarryB

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
Canberra, ACT, Australia
How ever, this leaves the Mac. ..... Because of the introduction of a new file system, I believe that Apple will Drop even more computers this time. My theory is that Apple will drop support for computers without thunderbolt ports. This would also mean that .... all iMacs from 2009 and 2010 would lose support, .... That would mean that the system requirements looked like this:
  • iMac, (mid 2011 and later)
It's unfortunate, but this is the most logical list of devices I could come up with. The reason for all the Macs removal is because Apple is updating the file system, and that means all the Systems files will be updated. ..... Do you agree with me?

I have an iMac (late 2009) Core i5 27". It does not support Night shift but, it DOES support APFS. I have formatted Firewire and USB drives with APFS and they work well in 10.12.4.

Acknowledging the current APFS limitations, I can't see why Apple would want to remove support for iMacs that currently run APFS. Also, the lack of NightShift hasn't prevented my iMac running 10.12.4. So, I'm still hoping it will run 10.13.

However, I do suspect Apple will implement individual new macOS features that require more recent hardware. They have done that before with Handoff and related features. They might add features that require more recent or more capable graphics cards. Just as long as such new features aren't required to run the Mac.

Reactions: T909

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I can't see why the iPad Mini 2 would be dropped, while the 5s and Touch 6 would still be supported. They're all very close performance wise, all have 1 gig RAM, and all 64 bit.

Reactions: robotica

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
I think only iPhone 5 will be unsupported. (Along with 5C) and I think that iPhone 5S and iPad mini 2 will be supported.
I truly hope that MacBook Pro (mid 2010) will be supported along with some other Macs. They just dropped the support. I think they'll keep going like with Mountain Lion - El Capitan.

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
Just reminding that iPhone 5s is still supported, as iPad 2, but with serious performance issues.
Wrong. iPad 2 and iPhone 5s aren't comparable. At most iOS 11 will work like iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, however, I think it'll work like iOS 7 on iPhone 4

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wrong. iPad 2 and iPhone 5s aren't comparable. At most iOS 11 will work like iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, however, I think it'll work like iOS 7 on iPhone 4
Aren't compatible with what?

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
iPad 2 and iPhone 5s aren't comparable. That's what I said.
iPad 2 came out in 2011 with iOS 4 and supported all up to iOS 9. iPhone 5s came out with iOS 7…You should rather compare iPhone 4 on iOS 7 and iPhone 5 on iOS 10.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Agreed with those new requirements for iOS 11, but on the MacOS side I really hope there won't be any new drops after all the Macs dropped in Sierra, and there's no hardware reason for it unlike iOS. Luckily, I don't see the Mac Pro 5,1 losing support yet even if that does happen - the newest Mac Pro 5,1 release was in 2012, not 2010.

Reactions: T909

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
iPad 2 and iPhone 5s aren't comparable. That's what I said.
iPad 2 came out in 2011 with iOS 4 and supported all up to iOS 9. iPhone 5s came out with iOS 7…You should rather compare iPhone 4 on iOS 7 and iPhone 5 on iOS 10.

iPhone 5s got a hardware really stronger than iPad 2, but both are still supported by latest OS (as Mactracker states). The comparison will happen anyway, people I know got iPad 2 report a slow and unstable performance, as iPhone 5s owners. It's a case to analyze the details, as bus speed, don't know why a old 32 bit is comparable to a newer 64 bit. My guess? Bad customized OS. Newer OS are made to take advantage from the latest hardware, they don't think about how to make it faster in used devices.

We have a new market scenery with a lot of old devices still funcional but without an OS made for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.