Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elkbullwinkle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Wellington, NZ
High I've been running macOS Sierra on MacPro 3,1 with pc version of AMD R9 280X with flashed EFI (no black screen prior to boot) for last year and everything worked fine. I have tried to do the clean install of High Sierra 10.13.5 recently applying dosdude patch, including AMD card patch (it did not finish boot w\o amd patch) and everything seems to work fine except the sleep is broken.

Unfortunately it's not an option to have a Mac without sleep (gets really annoying to shut it down every time).

There are some manuals regarding the broken sleep starting from 10.13.2, it seems that Apple didn't fix by 10.13.5 so I don't think they would going further. I tried to fiddle with CFG_FB_LIMIT with no luck.

There is also a few bugs related to red artefacts randomly appearing in Preview as well as login screen background is red.

Does anybody have an idea on how to get the sleep working again? Would be much appreciated.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
You'll need an nVidia graphics card. AMD GPUs have these issues on the Mac Pro 3,1.

Frenchtouch

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2018
What would be the nVidia models for the Mac Pro 3,1?
I not a gamer. I just do basic stuff with 2 displays.

Frenchtouch

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2018
The seller don't have it in stock anymore he propose me the gtx770 2gb WindForce for the same price. Still OK?

Last edited:

Ben888

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2017
Newberg, Oregon
The seller don't have it in stock anymore he propose me the gtx770 2gb WindForce for the same price. Still OK?

I've heard that card will boot fine using Apple's native drivers, but you won't get a boot screen. (That may or may not matter to you) The nice thing about the GTX 680 is that even if it isn't a Mac Edition card it likely can be flashed to have EFI and therefore a boot screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.