Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
i know sierra just came out 3 days ago but i was thinking with such a minor update what do you all hope to see in the next version. personally i have a few ideas that i would love to see

• system wide dark mode - not the dark mode we have now have it actually effect finder and all application interfaces .
  • multiple docks for multiple displays - i think it would be neat if ur running a dual or more display setup to have separate docks on separate screens. that way you could have apps organized by witch screen u use them on. For example id have mail and twitter pinned to the left display dock, safari, chrome, and other main apps on man dock, and then iTunes, spotify, steam, and a few other things on the right dock
  • better 5.1 support - when i hook in a 5.1 sound system there is no way to test if they are plugged into the right channels like in windows
  • allow menu bar utilities in the mac app store - if they are going to keep making gate keeper stricter witch is easy to fix btw then they need to allow menu bar utilities in the mac app store
these are some of my ideas. i know this is a bit early but still what do you all hope for. i jus feel sierra is a great os but not enough new features to justify the upgrade especially if your mac can't run it natively. iv installed it on a backup mac but there isn't much a reason to miss it on my 1,1 pro or my 09 13 inch mbp.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
  • Split the bloated iTunes app. Give me a real Music app, seperate from a Movies app. Put all the "device management" stuff into a seperate app or into a control panel under "System Preferences".
  • Merge Spotlight and Siri. Right now I find it confusing that both do similar things but just slightly differently. Whether my input is spoken or typed should not in any way influence the results.
  • Allow Messages apps from iOS to run natively in macOS Messages.
  • Allow 3rd party developers to create Filters that can be used within Photos both on iOS and macOS
  • An Apple Health app on Mac that takes the data from my iPhone, either through encrypted iCloud sync or via local wifi / bluetooth sync
  • Improve Notes even further to the point where it can compete with Evernote (now that those guys put all the interesting features into Premium...). Mainly this means having Notebooks.
  • Easily allow me to use my iPad or AppleTV as a 2nd screen in an easier way than what is possible today

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
  • APFS done properly, including file checksum. If necessary postpone it for a few years. I fear Apple will release it too early given its complexity. :(
  • Priority on fixing bugs and making OS faster. El Capitan was supposed to be such release but it let a lot to be desired.
  • If Apple insist on adding more features at the very least provide ability to choose what installed or alternatively easy way to remove features user doesn't need. Photos, iCloud running pointlessly in the background just to name a few examples.
  • Fix Spotlight, it has been buggy since Yosemite and I'm not convinced expanding its focus to internet search was a smart idea. It is trying to do too many things at the same time and its way too limited as a result. Sherlock 2 might be a better option in addition to Spotlight.
  • Adding features from iOS is taking OS to wrong direction in my opinion, what works in phone doesn't work in desktop. (Siri is even more useless than I expected).

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
An "eject external drive(s)" option in the Apple menu - It's annoying that I always have to switch to the finder to eject my thumb drive.

(I know there is a secret "eject menu", but sadly it only works for optical drives)

Last edited:

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
- Merge Siri & Spotlight
- System wide dark mode
- Split iTunes into multiple apps: Music, Films & TV, Podcasts, iSync,

An "eject external drive(s)" option in the Apple menu - It's annoying that I always have to switch to the finder to eject my thumb drive.

(I know there is a secret "eject menu", but sadly it only works for optical drives)

With the new file system you might not need to eject drives any longer.

Reactions: daanodinot

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
i like what you all are all thinking. id also like since posting the original post to have mltiple docks for mutliple screens i dont want my main dock to switch screens id like to pin items to a dock on what ever screen i use it on to keep the docks cleaner for example on my dual screens on my 1,1 mac pro running el cap id pin mail, twitter, skype , discord, and itunes to the second screen while safari, chrome, app store, steam, minecraft and so on to the main screen that way i would not acidently open a program on the wrong screen. just an idea. and this would only be benificial for multi screen setups.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Preference to disable the green traffic light button completely, at least through entry in a textfile somewhere.
For those who have to administer elderly people using the mac.

Preference to have a master volume set to for example max 50%, but 50% shows as 100% in the menu bar.
For those who have to administer younger people using the mac.

... fill in.

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
Current models supported

Safari:

You can handwrite and draw and hide tabs
Support for 360 videos

Siri and Spotlight merged into one app
Dashboard removed
Battery shows time again on the menubar
iWeb back

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

C.clavin

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
- Merge Siri & Spotlight
- System wide dark mode
- Split iTunes into multiple apps: Music, Films & TV, Podcasts, iSync,

With the new file system you might not need to eject drives any longer.
This. Also, when I plug my 15" MBP into my 27" LG 5K monitor, adjust the size of the dock and windows appropriately. When I go back to my laptop screen size, all of my windows are near-full size and its annoying to switch everything over. Also, make Siri more powerful and be able to answer all system-related questions.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Open new window in split view from the dock contextual menu:

When in a full screen app it would be nice to open a new app or new window directly into split view. For example right click on dock icon and option click open to open second app or window in split view.

Drag split screen window to edge of screen to discard - Similar to ipad split screen.

For example I have Safari and Mail in split screen and I no longer want the Mail window so I just drag (resize) it to the edge of the screen and the window moves to the desktop space (or its own space).... and I continue viewing Safari uninterrupted.

Allow access to the dock when activating split view with green button:

Allow access to the dock (auto hidden as usual in fullscreen) to open a second app/window. This is particularly helpful when you activate split view but there are no available windows for the second view. Alternatively show the launchpad (or similar app picker) in the second split view.

Drag and drop windows in mission control to replace a split view window:

I love that you can drag a window to the top of the screen (activate mission control), and drop the window onto another fullscreen space to create split screen. However I think it would be even better if you could drag and drop a window onto a space which already has split view to replace one of the windows. The displaced window would automatically be moved to another fullscreen space.

For example I have a space with Safari & Mail split screen. I then open a calendar app from the desktop and drag and drop it onto the right side of split view (mail) replacing the mail app so I have a Safari & calendar split screen instead. To achieve this currently would involve leaving split view and re-initiating it.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
I wish that Metal would be finally ready and Apple could introduce their roadmap for GPGPU. Is it openCL, Metal or what?

I have a feeling that openCL is about to die along with openGL. For the sake of future programmers, it would be nice to know where to focus and what's going to be obsolete...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
  1. Window management: Some of the most popular paid apps on Mac App Store are window manager. Like Night Shift and Windows 10, I think window management should be baked into OS itself.
  2. Improved security: It has become all too easy to damage macOS with malware. There are many shady apps (e.g., MacKeeper) with proper Developer ID, thus getting around GateKeeper. System Integrity Protection also does not go far enough. macOS should be rock solid and it should be easier to get rid of apps that installs code outside its sandbox.
  3. Mac App Store: I applaud all the security features of apps featured on the Mac App Store, but Apple needs to attract more developers. Offer upgrade pricing, trial mode, and special privileges (especially getting around sandboxing) for well known/proven developers.
  4. Siri: Siri on macOS Sierra is embarrassingly limited. Offer greater feature parity against iOS (e.g., HomeKit, SiriKit) and text input for those working in a collaborative environment.
  5. Messages: iOS feature parity with support for iMessages stickers.
  6. Dark Mode: "Use dark menu bar and Dock" should expand to other parts of the OS and it should become an API for 3rd party apps.
  7. iTunes redux: It's time kill iTunes. I would prefer iOS-style treatment by breaking iTunes into 2 apps: Music and TV, each with integrated iTunes Store, and optional iTunes U and Podcasts apps. As for syncing, iOS devices should provide syncing UI, with System Preferences serving syncing permission options.
  8. Photos: I want more Aperture features added to Photos app, particularly being able to leverage more meta data attributes to sort, filter, or create Smart Album.
  9. Flexible iCloud Pricing: I shouldn't have to choose a pricing tier. I should be able to pay as much as I am using, such as 200MB increment at $1.99/month.
  10. iCloud Drive: Add more fine grain control over "Desktop & Documents Folders", where I can selectively pick folders, as well as keeping some locally.
  11. iCloud Backup: Just like iOS.
  12. iCloud Photo Library: Family Sharing.
  13. APFS: Full support for APFS as well as defaulting to APFS for new Macs. A bonus point for enhancing APFS, such as data integrity and always ejectable volume.
  14. Safari: Safari 9 from macOS 10.11 brought audio muting control. I would like to see this feature go further and see audio and video blocked by default (at least as option in Preferences). Also, offer more power to Content Blockers.
  15. Touch Bar: Since Touch Bar offers visual cues already, it should suppress on-screen feedback when doing things like changing volume and brightness. Also, an option to place Escape key on the left corner permanently.
  16. Shorter Animation: Like iOS 10.3, macOS needs shorter animation. Full screen animation is particularly way too long and it makes me avoid using the feature entirely. A quarter second or less for all animations, please.
  17. Calendar: Calendar menu bar (like Fantastical).
  18. New Mouse Cursor: macOS 10.11's Shake to Find was nice, but the mouse cursor is still hard to find, especially over multiple monitors. I would like to see it redesigned.

Last edited:

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
  • Improved disk utility
  • More (!) settings for the OS itself
  • Volume Control for Displays connected via HDMI/DP (every other OS can do this!)

ivofonseca

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2017
  • Proper support for external GPU: why do people need hacks and DIY solutions to connect an external GPU to a Mac, and in Windows is plug and play? That and the mediocre quality of current Macbook GPUs is alienating a supposed core market of Apple users: graphic professionals;
  • Updated OpenGL drivers and Vulcan support, for the same reason;
  • Better quality Bootcamp support: right now support of Windows on Bootcamp partition not only is barebones (ex. no multi-touch trackpad or mice) but also is buggy.

STEPHEN SNELL

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
(*CURSOR MOUSE TAILS*):

• Proper support for external GPU: why do people need hacks and DIY solutions to connect an external GPU to a Mac, and in Windows is plug and play? That and the mediocre quality of current Macbook GPUs is alienating a supposed core market of Apple users: graphic professionals;
  • Updated OpenGL drivers and Vulcan support, for the same reason;
  • Better quality Bootcamp support: right now support of Windows on Bootcamp partition not only is barebones (ex. no multi-touch trackpad or mice) but also is buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.