Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada
Alright the Legacy Video patch work again on 10.15.2 B4
BIG Thanks to ASentientBot :D
I will Update on Github
Untitled.png

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi Dosdude, at Mac Mini 2009 you inject the apfs driver with a shell script into the boot routine. You could change this shell script and could redirect the screen output of every single command to /dev/NULL. Than nobody would see it

Or change the background colour of the shell and the letters to Apple grey.
The EFI Shell doesn't have a /dev/null or the ability to change the colors. Basically, a new EFI app would need to be written. If you don't like the EFI Shell, you can try rEFInd. It should be able to load the apfs.efi driver and run the macOS efi booter (I haven't tried it). I think the apfs.efi driver will do some text spam either way.

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Hello everyone,

This is my first post for this project.
I started a "research" to modify a Intel HD 3000 kext with Metal support.

The idea is simple: HD 3000 is very close to HD 4000 in VA Driver and GL driver (GL not much, but still some shared features). Based on this, I modify the HD 4000 Metal driver to HD 3000.

Is very primary with few hex modifications but I think this is possible.

In attachment is the modifications, is not functional yet (load the desktop but Finder not load). Have issues with signature for MTL Driver and I don't have test on the originals macOS Frameworks (only in patched). Also have in attachment the patched kext for MacbookPro8,1 AirDrop support, if anyone needs for this model (MacBook Pro 2011).

If anyone have this original files for macOS Catalina (without patch) and can send to this post, I will appreciate :) (I know, I can extract of the pkgs files in macOS installer, is only for more speed and less work to me.. ?). These files are:
  • CoreDisplay.framework
  • OpenGL.framework
  • GPUSupport.framework
  • SkyLight.framework

In the coming days I will continue with the research and testing in this kext.
Hi. any progress with above. Did you try it on your intel graphics?

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
My SIP is disabled but I cannot get Continuity Terminal command to complete. Getting following error.

Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 3.00.10 PM.png

Could I get a copy of /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist.

@jackluke and @ASentientBot could you help pls. This is for my iMac 27" mid 2011

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
My SIP is disabled but I cannot get Continuity Terminal command to complete. Getting following error.

View attachment 881253

Could I get a copy of /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist.

@jackluke and @ASentientBot could you help pls.

Assuming that AirDrop patch is required before the continuity script, seems apple changed their "continuity plist", before it was as this example (for your board-id):
Code:
  "Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3" =     {
        ContinuitySupport = 0;
        "DID ProductCode" = 18979;
    };

from the current version it is (example for your board-id):
Code:
    <key>Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3</key>
    <dict>
        <key>ContinuitySupport</key>
        <false/>
        <key>DID ProductCode</key>
        <integer>18979</integer>
    </dict>

So for now edit it manually open Catalina Terminal and copy/paste:
open /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

Then put manually on desktop the "SystemParameters.plist" and find the string of your board-id and change the <false/> value to <true/> , then replace it again in that path.

Last edited:

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Assuming that AirDrop patch is required before the continuity script, seems from 10.15.2 apple changed their "continuity plist", before it was as this example (example for your board-id):
Code:
        ContinuitySupport = 1;
    };

Code:
    <dict>
        <true/>
        <integer>18979</integer>
    </dict>

Then put manually on desktop the "SystemParameters.plist" and find the string of your board-id and change the <false/> value to <true/> , then replace it again in that path.
[/QUO
I did exactly what you mentioned above before posting.
I was trying to edit the frammw
Assuming that AirDrop patch is required before the continuity script, seems from 10.15.2 apple changed their "continuity plist", before it was as this example (for your board-id):
Code:
        ContinuitySupport = 0;
    };

Code:
    <dict>
        <false/>
        <integer>18979</integer>
    </dict>

I presume I did that before you posted. I tried to edit the parameters.plist file and enter "true" against the continuity support boolean, but I got a prompt that it cannot be edited and a copy of the file could so the copy opened and then I edited and tried replacing the edited plist with actual in the frameworks folder.

But when I try to give your Continuity command in Terminal I got error which I posted in screen shot.

So to understand your post above correctly, I should copy the plist file on desktop, edit false to true against my board ID for iMac under continuity support correct. . I am doing it for Mojave. (;))
This is where I am getting confused

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I presume I did that before you posted. I tried to edit the parameters.plist file and enter "true" against the continuity support boolean, but I got a prompt that it cannot be edited and a copy of the file could so the copy opened and then I edited and tried replacing the edited plist with actual in the frameworks folder.

But when I try to give your Continuity command in Terminal I got error which I posted in screen shot.

So to understand your post above correctly, I should copy the plist file on desktop, edit false to true against my board ID for iMac under continuity support correct. . I am doing it for Mojave. (;))
This is where I am getting confused

From Catalina Terminal:
ioreg -l | grep board-id

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
You have made me expert in terminal cmds haha.
This is my board id Mac-942B59F58194171B, will the integer value change accordingly. But after applying my board id and giving following cmd in terminal:

iMac:~ dilli$ sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set:Mac-942B59F58194171B:ContinuitySupport true" "/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist"
Password:
Encountered non-empty <true> on line 604
Error Reading File: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist

I copy pasted the paramaters.plist after editing on desktop with my board id and adding value true. I restarted the iMac but I don't see hands-off activated in preferences.

I am doing this for my Mojave Partition.

I think my iMac 2011 is not supported for Hands-off as it does not have low latency Bluetooth 4.0

Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 4.44.30 PM.png

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
You have made me expert in terminal cmds haha.
This is my board id Mac-942B59F58194171B, will the integer value change accordingly. But after applying my board id and giving following cmd in terminal:

iMac:~ dilli$ sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set:Mac-942B59F58194171B:ContinuitySupport true" "/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist"
Password:
Encountered non-empty <true> on line 604
Error Reading File: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist

I copy pasted the paramaters.plist after editing on desktop with my board id and adding value true. I restarted the iMac but I don't see hands-off activated in preferences.

I am doing this for my Mojave Partition. I have attached file for you to check.

How do I whitelist my USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to use the continuity features with a third party BT 4.0 dongle?

As I wrote earlier, AirDrop patch is needed to use continuity features, so for @Dilli from your attached you have enabled continuity on this unsupported board-id : Mac-942B59F58194171B

that should match an iMac12,2 so you need AirDrop, and to check if a patch is possible I need the output from your iMac12,2 Catalina Terminal: system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep "Card Type"

if the output string is "0x14E4 , 0x9* " or higher, then a patch is possible, otherwise no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilli

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Airdrop is activated and working according to my board Id. Attached system profiler

Attachments

• SystemProfiler.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: TimothyR734

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Airdrop is activated and working according to my board Id. Attached system profiler

On iMac12,2 not, but only if you have an upgraded combo Wifi/BT4 card.

In this case, from Catalina terminal try:
Code:
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist

restart, then try to sign-out and sign-in again from System Preferences iCloud prefpane.

And check also that from System Preferences / General "Allow Handoff between" is checked.

Reactions: Dilli

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I think I may have to order the wifi/BT4 card. My built in card is not supporting the commands. I am extremely sorry to have taken up your time. I think this may be the issue. Thanks for all your valuable inputs.

I will save these cmds for future use with new wifi/bt4 card/dongle.?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I think I may have to order the wifi/BT4 card. My built in card is not supporting the commands. I am extremely sorry to have taken up your time. I think this may be the issue. Thanks for all your valuable inputs.

I will save these cmds for future use with new wifi/bt4 card/dongle.?

If the output string of that terminal command: system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep "Card Type"

for the Wifi card is "0x14E4, 0x9* or higher" you can use a cheap BT 4.0 usb dongle for continuity features.

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp-3-1-question-upgrades-opinions.2214483/

If I upgrade to an unflashed NVIDIA GPU, is there video when using dosdude's cat installer when I choose where to install Catalina? If not, how do you install in this configuration?
I have responded about the GPU on your link. For installing Catalina without a boot screen I do this on my cMP5.1 with the RX580. You can use the "Install to this machine" option and just follow the instructions. However, worth having a current patcher USB as a backup unless you fix the Recovery Partition. Before the "Install to this Machine" option I used to select the patcher USB in the startup disk preferences and boot the usb on restart. However, the first option is much more elegant and quicker and has worked well for me.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2019
@Syncretic is that of any value?
I don't have time for a thorough analysis right now, but it looks promising, particularly for older (pre-Penryn) CPUs. It's all C, so it's slower than assembly language emulation (which may or may not make any real-world difference). SSE4.2 support appears to be a work-in-progress at this point. Put a #UD capture and instruction parser in front of SIMDe and you might have a usable emulator for MP1,1/MP2,1. I see no immediate value for MP3,1 unless AMD/Apple start using more post-Penryn instructions. If my life ever slows down, I might look at incorporating SIMDe into a separate pre-Penryn MouSSE.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
To those interested in Catalina OTA updates, using the @Pinarek method, I just wrote a little script that automatically whitelist the unsupported machine, note that this script must be launched after applied the dosdude1/Czo Software Update patch and when at least about 3% of OTA downloading is done, to allow apple to create your XXX-XXXXX unique product ID language updates folder.

This script should work without issues.

I repeat the steps:

- Launch the Sierra's Software Update patch by @dosdude1/@Czo (swupatch.zip)
- Detect the Catalina OTA update from System Preferences and click "Update Now"
- When downloading progress bar is ≥ 3% , launch my attached script (catalinaswufix2.zip), for safety you can also re-apply the script before OTA update invites to Restart.

Let the OTA update to autocomplete, and after re-apply the Catalina post patches.

Attachments

• catalinaswufix2.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 115
  • swupatch.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 10.15.2 beta 4 downloading.png
    10.15.2 beta 4 downloading.png
    941.1 KB · Views: 217
  • OTA stage2 automatic install.jpeg
    OTA stage2 automatic install.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 10.15.2 beta 4 updated.png
    10.15.2 beta 4 updated.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 238

olrik77

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
France
Bonsoir,

I have a Linksys usb3 Wifi dongle (WUSB6400M) but, actually, it doesn't work with Catalina, even with the "drivers" supplied by Linksys (this program is not compatible with your OS version...)...

Too bad !

Any idea from the experts ?

Many thanks in advance,

Serviteur

Reactions: TimothyR734

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
I have responded about the GPU on your link. For installing Catalina without a boot screen I do this on my cMP5.1 with the RX580. You can use the "Install to this machine" option and just follow the instructions. However, worth having a current patcher USB as a backup unless you fix the Recovery Partition. Before the "Install to this Machine" option I used to select the patcher USB in the startup disk preferences and boot the usb on restart. However, the first option is much more elegant and quicker and has worked well for me.

Concurring with the "Install to this machine." option to install Catalina, in fact, it was the only method to install Catalina on two (2) Mini3,1. After numerous attempts trying different USB sticks, different Macs, date jiggling, etc. altogether have been unable to make a functional USB Catalina Patcher using the same Catalina installer which installed perfectly with "Install to this machine."

The weird USB install method breakdown was never present with Mojave or High Sierra as some have also reported, here. Making "Install to this machine." the only way to go and "is much more elegant and quicker and has worked well for me." (Flacko)

to this machine.jpg

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Tried it, but doesn't work !
The Wifi adapter is recognized as :

View attachment 881296

...but nothing? The LED on the adaptateur is orange.

Edit : seems to work now with a reboot and a reinstallation of the post-install patches (@dosdude1)

Serviteur

It's the @chris1111 Wireless usb driver that made it to work, since from Catalina AFAIK there is no available third party driver for external usb wifi dongles, instead it is "emulated" through an "ethernet adapter" and a third party "Wifi.app" for network wireless scan.

Reactions: chris1111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.