Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlfgma

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Has anyone successfully been able to get Catalina running on a VM?

I made a quick attempt to upgrade a Mojave VM running on ESXI 6.7U2 yesterday but it did not appear to work. I have not had time to debug yet but will try again later.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

I made a quick attempt to upgrade a Mojave VM running on ESXI 6.7U2 yesterday but it did not appear to work. I have not had time to debug yet but will try again later.

I just created a new Volume for it. Mine installed fine, but it wasn't an update over Mojave; Try creating a new VM for it instead of upgrading a Mojave one

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA

I'm trying the beta of Catalina on the most recent version of Parallels and the install seems to be stuck at, "9 minutes remaining". It's been that way for the last 30 minutes. I'm going to let it go a while longer, but I don't think it's going to work.

dlfgma

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
My plan is as follows:

• Disable SIP
  • Try again using no_compat_check
  • ??

FWIW, it seemed to install before but got stuck at the Apple boot logo.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm trying the beta of Catalina on the most recent version of Parallels and the install seems to be stuck at, "9 minutes remaining". It's been that way for the last 30 minutes. I'm going to let it go a while longer, but I don't think it's going to work.

It could be the fact that Catalina repartitions the volume on install? Maybe the VMs aren't happy about that? It creates an extra volume that is read only for OS level things as a new form of security

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
It could be the fact that Catalina repartitions the volume on install? Maybe the VMs aren't happy about that? It creates an extra volume that is read only for OS level things as a new form of security

I was able to get Catalina booted by doing a hard system reset. Once booted all looked good until I opened Safari. Turns out the network wasn't working. All settings in Catalina and the Parallels VM looked good; however not connectivity.

Think I'll spend my time elsewhere. Very excited to play with MacOS 15, but I'll wait for release.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I had a lot of trouble but ended up following this approach:
https://planetvm.net/blog/?p=64552
I had to download a fresh installer and copy it to a home folder. For some reason the one I had used and saved previously could not be converted by Fusion. Go figure.
Since this is a fresh install, do not forget to install the Beta Profile installer so you get the beta updates in the VM Guest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.