Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Link previews work with three finger tap lookup, but when trying to get the definition of a word (Safari) it no longer works.

Worked flawlessly before yesterdays (11.3) update.

I've restarted my system, but it's still not working. However, as I say, it works every time when three finger tapping on links to get previews.

I just changed the setting to Force Click with one finger, and definitions now works. It's clearly a bug that's been introduced with 11.3.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks.

Last edited:

attox

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
It is happening also for me.

It seems Safari and Mail are affected. It works with Preview, TexEdit, Pages.
Changed the setting to Force Click with one finger and it does work.

attox

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Update: it works with Safari and Mail only the very first time you use it on the same page or message and then it stops working.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChromeCrescendo

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Update: it works with Safari and Mail only the very first time you use it on the same page or message and then it stops working.
Exactly the same with me.

It works once, then stops working.

I've just decided to change to force clicking with one finger.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
Since updating to Big Sur 11.3.1 the "lookup" function stopped working

Instead of using a 3-finger tap, I have to select the word then use the 3-finger tap in order to show the definition - this is across the board in Safari and all Apps

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I can force click with three fingers on any word and I get the definition popup. I get the same with a one finger force click. (M1 MacBook Pro, Big Sur 11.3.1)

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 1.52.23 PM.png

vetoes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2017
If it does not appear in a first go then just highlight a word and than use three-finger tap and if popup appears empty just three-finger tap again at same highlighted word. You can always make is appear just not from a first go.

Three-finger tap in links works fine it seems.

duck apple

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
I found out the cause of the issue, but I'm now on MacOS 12.6 (as others, this bug appeared long long ago)
To solve it, disable 'Use trackpad gesture to zoom':
'Setting-> Accessibility-> Zoom-> Advanced(a button in the right pane)-> Control (a tab) -> Use Trackpad gesture to zoom'

This setting, when enabled, use 3-finger double tap to enable and disable Accessibility's Zoom feature (and you can't select or input other gesture). I guess a bug eventually prevents MacOS recognizing the 3-finger Single Tap gesture or dispatching the 'word lookup' event.

Last edited:

quents

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
I found out the cause of the issue, but I'm now on MacOS 12.6 (as others, this bug appeared long long ago)
'Setting-> Accessibility-> Zoom-> Advanced(a button in the right pane)-> Control (a tab) -> Use Trackpad gesture to zoom'

This setting, when enabled, use 3-finger double tap to enable and disable Accessibility's Zoom feature (and you can't select or input other gesture). I guess a bug eventually prevents MacOS recognizing the 3-finger Single Tap gesture or dispatching the 'word lookup' event.
That issue still exists in 13.2.1 (Ventura) and your suggestion solved the problem. I can already zoom with tapping twice with two fingers, so that feature is useless anyway. Thank you!

rickynur1

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023

thanks duck !! its work for me (MBA 2014 bigsur 11.7.10) . idk when its happen ,but i experience the issue several week ago until now ,before that, i can view the file (png,document,etc) in finder quick with single 3 tap finger so its show pop up view tab. and now its normal again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.