Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdw13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Boston, Maine, Chile
4-Port Ulta slim USB 3.0 Data Hub:
USB disks attached to Hub no longer recognized after this update.
They do not show up on Disk Utility application.
Condition persists after reboot or disconnect, connect of Data Hub.
(using MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014))

After power down, the laptop screen remained blank after chime if hub was connected, twice. I then booted with hub disconnected. Reconnecting the hub to laptop after it is fully up, then the reconnected hub appears to be behaving normally and attached USB disks are mounted as before. This procedure worked only once.

Correction:

I was able to run as before the update, but after power down and move to another hotel it appears that Big Sur update 11.7.8 has broken the ability to get the USB Data Hub to operate.

The USB disks work normally when plugged individually into USB port, but not via the USB bridge/hub.
It appears nothing connected to the hub is seen on the USB via the hub; I tried with a USB mouse and it is not seen when connected to the the hub either.
I have also verified that both USB ports on laptop display same broken symptoms.

Reported this regression to Apple in their their feedback assistant URL. Is is listed as FB12439547.

Last edited:
Reactions: Longplays

jdw13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Boston, Maine, Chile
Appears very likely to be a hardware issue, "operator error."
This hub has two USB cables, apparently one power and one for data.
The "power" USB was plugged into the laptop with the "data" cable going to the power.
Apparently it could operate this way before the update, but the USB changes in the update prevents such operation.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.