Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seekdawg33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2022
I have a 2016 MacBook Pro that has had its logic board replaced in 2019. I attempted the macOS 12.3 update and got into the looping recovery mode cycle error. This is, every single time the computer restarts, turns on, etc… it force starts recovery mode. I have attempted disk utility first aid, attempted (multiple times) to reinstall macOS. Time Machine won’t work because I cannot reinstall macOS. I have researched numerous DFU and revive/recovery mode methods and they are all written for Macs with T2 chips. I have attempted booting into SAFE mode but the computer will not boot in. It freezes 1/2 way through and restarts back into recovery mode. I really do not want to lose my content on my SSD so I am resisting a wipe and restore. Does anyone know how to fix this solution without a completely new logic board/storage? Or how to put a NON (that is a MacBook Pro WITHOUT) T2 MacBook Pro into DFU mode for firmware repair/revive? Or any solution towards this issue. Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I apologize if you've tried this already, but...

Assuming you have a good backup, have you tried...

1. Boot to internet recovery
Command-OPTION-R
at boot.

2. Open disk utility, go to view menu and choose "show all drives".

3. Select the topmost item on the left that represents the physical SSD inside.

4. ERASE it to APFS, GUID partition format.

5. Now, quit disk utility and open the OS installer and install a completely fresh copy of the OS?

6. When the install is done, click through the initial setup. Then, when setup assistant prompts you, migrate from your backup?

Seekdawg33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2022
I apologize if you've tried this already, but...

Assuming you have a good backup, have you tried...

1. Boot to internet recovery
Command-OPTION-R
at boot.

2. Open disk utility, go to view menu and choose "show all drives".

3. Select the topmost item on the left that represents the physical SSD inside.

4. ERASE it to APFS, GUID partition format.

5. Now, quit disk utility and open the OS installer and install a completely fresh copy of the OS?

6. When the install is done, click through the initial setup. Then, when setup assistant prompts you, migrate from your backup?
Thanks for responding. So I don’t even need to boot into internet recovery because the computer ALWAYS ends up loading into recovery. That is the issue. I cannot get it OUT of recovery. Not an issue for getting to recovery. Also, of course as these things go, I thought I had a backup but apparently I do not. I am not sure erasing the partition and reinstalling macOS will work. I might just lose everything.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Thanks for responding. So I don’t even need to boot into internet recovery because the computer ALWAYS ends up loading into recovery."

The "Recovery partition" and "internet recovery" ARE NOT the same thing.
You DO need to try booting to internet recovery.

At least try:
1. Boot to INTERNET recovery
2. Open the OS installer, if it will open.
3. Try a re-install that way.

If it doesn't, I reckon that erasing the ENTIRE drive and starting over will work, but of course, you will lose whatever data is on the drive.

Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere near?
If so, why not take it to the genius bar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.