Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Post about the little things that have changed in macOS 12 here. Note that this is a wiki post, which means that you can add directly to this post.
As always, this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions, or troubleshooting of the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting, or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Additional note by @maternidad: Please help me add images to the wikipost. I haven't been able to do it myself.

We still have the word Macintosh

By @macintoshmac

New icons and settings in System Preferences​

By @shMorganson

New Go to window look in Finder

By @xflashx

Maps.app has a new icon​

By @Apple Knowledge Navigator

Display settings have been revamped​

By @ErikGrim

Display settings have been finally revamped from their System 7 roots and are gorgeous.

Profile picture editing screen was updated​

By @ErikGrim

New, thick selection indicator at login​

By @Takuro

There's a new, thick selection indicator displayed while you choose your user account at login.

New Shared sidebar item in Finder​

By @Takuro, @Apple Knowledge Navigator

The Shared folder is, in essence, a tag for any documents or folders that you share with people on iCloud Drive.

Setup screen for Mail prompts to block tracking​

By @Takuro

New category of widgets called Find My

By @Takuro

The category includes the following:

Updated Books app based on its iOS analogue​

By @Ritsuka, @FNH15

The Books app has been replaced with the iOS one, so it supports all the features that weren't available before. It needs an additional bit of love to be a good Mac citizen.

It was noted by a commenter that it feels exceptionally wonky because the animations are too fast.

Pop-up displayed upon starting AirPlay​

By @Takuro

The Reminders app supports tags, like Notes​

By @DanielDD

Offloaded wallpapers​

By @MrWeenus, @Stephen.R

There are download buttons on wallpapers. More wallpapers coming through the release of Monterey, perhaps?

Regardless, it's another way to save disk space. Downloading content on demand is not exactly a new thing, and the Desktop Pictures directory of Big Sur is already over a gigabyte. Given that a lot of people are never going to use any of those, it's somewhat surprising that they're only doing it now.

The adoption of really high resolutions, dark/light mode combinations, and dynamic wallpapers, must have ballooned out their sizes.

Communication section in Screen Time​

By @3rik

Altered icons​

It was also noticed some of the icons have changed.

HomeKit devices can be controlled from the menu bar without a third-party app​

By @3rik

This is a consequence of the new Shortcuts app.

Low Power Mode​

By @3rik, @vaugha

The setting is buried in the System Preferences, sadly. It also cannot be toggled with the battery widget in the Menu Bar.

While in full screen, the Menu Bar's background is black​

By @tomtad

Not sure if this is a deliberate change, or a bug. You also now have the option to show it permanently when in full screen.

Windows moved to a second display are automatically resized​

By Joe Rossignol, @ErikGrim

As explained on the macOS Monterey features page, windows now automatically resize when they are moved from a Mac's built-in display to a secondary display, including an external monitor, another Mac, or an iPad using Sidecar.

The Siri app has a new icon​

By @thunderw

Siri's app icon includes less purple.

Keyboard Setup Assistant has a new look​

By @honam1021

Now matches the look of the first time setup assistant.

New Compression methods in Archive Utility​

By @allan.nyholm

Archive Utility can now compress archives using Apple Archive and Apple Encrypted Archive

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

MacAddictPM

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019
Can someone take some shots on how Safari handles reading list and bookmarks in the new sidebar? I use these a lot and they didn’t really show how it works now. I hope it’s good.
The sidebar icon is in all of the safari screenshots, so good bet Reading lists and bookmarks are still an intact feature.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
I may be mistaken but is the downloading of wallpapers in system preferences new to Mont or was it in BS? Also can't seem to find the Hello screensaver.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
If your profile picture is a Memoji they are animated on the Lock Screen before typing in your password/Touch ID.

Side note, you can now set up Memojis right in system prefs account picture section.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Every year there is one particular member who asks this, so for nostalgia sake, we still have the word Macintosh:

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 3.41.14 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 3.15.58 PM.png

Last edited:

petekjohnson

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

I haven't had enough time to really explore all over the place, but one thing that I was eager to check into was the new built-in 2-factor authentication feature, and I can report that it works flawlessly. I was using OTP Auth before, and thought that was an excellent Mac/iOS/iCloud combo solution, but now I don't even have to go and GET codes to enter, it all happens automagically. It's fantastic! In order to migrate from OTP Auth to the built-in system, I had to manually view each saved account in OTP Auth and display the QR code, make a screenshot of it, and then either (1) open that screenshot in Safari in order to right-click on it and choose "Setup Verification Code", which would take you immediately to Safari's password preferences section (you might need to enter your password first) and display whichever saved password was the correct one (usually there would only be one, but if I had this setup for, say, multiple Google accounts, I had to pick the proper one out of several shown), or (2) create screenshots for each QR code from OTP Auth all back to back, naming each one descriptively, and then using my iPhone's QR code scanner to actually complete the setup process on the phone rather than doing it all entirely on the Mac. This had the side effect of causing me to reorganize and streamline the folder where I saved all my account 2-factor/backup codes/recovery keys files, and gave me the entirely new idea of creating an encrypted disk image to move all of this into for extra security.

In order to test the 2-factor authentication for each and every site, I would have to remove each one's cookies to purge not only my login info but also my "do not ask again on this browser" preference. I logged out and back in again on 4 different sites and it worked flawlessly each time, so I'm taking it on faith that the rest will also work flawlessly. I will keep OTP Auth around for now just in case I goofed up somewhere.

-Pete

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
"...In order to migrate from OTP Auth to the built-in system, I had to manually view each saved account in OTP Auth and display the QR code, make a screenshot of it..."
Hi Pete, may I ask you how you do this step? I feel so dumb as I haven't yet managed to figure out how to migrate existing accounts in my MS Authenticator app. I don't see any QR code for any existing accounts there.

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
I expect to find little but neat things in this release like they did back when Snow Leopard debuted. The architectural and structural changes have been completed with Big Sur, and they haven't announced any major changes, mostly app-level, so let's expect a lot of polishing and neat little features.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
makes me wonder why they transitioned from 10.x point releases to full numbers if the changes will be so minor
Probably for consistency with iOS and WatchOS. I guess they figured it's better to play catchup now than wait until iOS is on version 20+? At least it's not as bad as what Google did with Chrome. I laugh every time I see the versioning scheme -- which is up to 90 already.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
perhaps if you read up on what's new in monterey, or watch the WWDC video, for example... you'll actually know what there is to talk about.
Thanks, but I watched the keynote and know exactly what they announced. Ever heard of OS X 10.5? See, that being a point release, had a lot more in it to discuss vs. Monterey. Also, not sure if you know, Universal Control isn't even a launch feature, so please stop it with the condescension.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks, but I watched the keynote and know exactly what they announced. Ever heard of OS X 10.5? See, that being a point release, had a lot more in it to discuss vs. Monterey. Also, not sure if you know, Universal Control isn't even a launch feature, so please stop it with the condescension.
sorry, not getting it. every new OS does not have to be a revolutionary one; mostly, new versions are built on previous ones. and are you basing your comments on your personal experience with monterey? or just from reading about a new feature or 2? anyway, we all have our opinions, and i respect your right to yours. i won't make final judgements on the OS until i install it, and live with it for a while. but that's just me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.