Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
But really, I keep thinking that this missunderstoods are due to not knowing what we have in hands. Some years ago, I knew NOTHING about OpenCore. Spent so many hours in understand it. And thanks to OCLP, it´s everything done at 99.9%

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Thanks all for the tips and recommendations. Keeping all this for possible future use. As it turns out, the software I tried installing, which still works quite well in my High Sierra, cDock 3, even with SIP disabled, cDock 4, is extremely buggy, quite useless in Ventura. Dock completely disappeared and worse. No Dock at all is definitely not a better Dock.

Just the first review at https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/51149/cdock with which I couldn't agree more. So searched for and trashed every bit of this (using Find Any File in root mode - great app.) and then restored the default security config.

"Absolute piece of trash on Big Sur! It caused my dock to flicker and disappear. It also caused the desktop to flicker and turn black, as well as all icons to disappear! I wasn't even using this garbage application, neither manually nor as a startup item. I was only able to discover that it was running by doing trial-and-error "quit" commands on running apps using Activity Monitor. REMOVE THIS FILTH!"

EDIT: and just in case anyone has an idea how to darken/adjust the background color of the Dock in light mode.

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
But really, I keep thinking that this missunderstoods are due to not knowing what we have in hands. Some years ago, I knew NOTHING about OpenCore. Spent so many hours in understand it. And thanks to OCLP, it´s everything done at 99.9%
Most people drive their car without knowing how it works or how to repair it when something goes wrong. Some prefer to know, some don't. It probably wouldn't surprise you that I change my car's oil, replace my car's brakes, turn my car's rotors ... I don't know what I'm going to do with all my free time when I get an EV.

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
@deeveedee You can still rotate the tires and add wiper fluid. Every few years get a new 12V battery. That's all you really need to do with a Tesla. The brakes will probably last 100-200k miles.

Reactions: olad and deeveedee

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Most people drive their car without knowing how it works or how to repair it when something goes wrong. Some prefer to know, some don't. It probably wouldn't surprise you that I change my car's oil, replace my car's brakes, turn my car's rotors ... I don't know what I'm going to do with all my free time when I get an EV.
Really, I love your comments.😄

Sausage.Biscuit

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Installed Ventura on my 27" late 2015 iMac with OCLP 1.43 yesterday. 1.43 guides you thru the process a lot better than the older version I have experience with. No problems on iMac, runs fine. Silly Apple doesn't support this hardware.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
Installed Ventura on my 27" late 2015 iMac with OCLP 1.43 yesterday. 1.43 guides you thru the process a lot better than the older version I have experience with. No problems on iMac, runs fine. Silly Apple doesn't support this hardware.
There should be made a movement about the suits of apple, trying to push people to upgrade hardware they are stil fine with! ... also long term they are stupid as XXX, they are killing off all the reasons people used to buy Apple; but Tim Crock only cares about money ... wonder how much Jobs and Ive legacy there will still be left in a few years ... Apple will just be another computer engineering firm.

Someone get adobe to support Linux and Apple will end up like Nokia in 2007-2013.

• Haha
Reactions: vmz and jgleigh

Sausage.Biscuit

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
There should be made a movement about the suits of apple, trying to push people to upgrade hardware they are stil fine with! ... also long term they are stupid as XXX, they are killing off all the reasons people used to buy Apple; but Tim Crock only cares about money ... wonder how much Jobs and Ive legacy there will still be left in a few years ... Apple will just be another computer engineering firm.

Someone get adobe to support Linux and Apple will end up like Nokia in 2007-2013.
Apple should offer paid OS upgrades again to folks on "older" hardware. This iMac isn't even 9 years old yet. Or paid versions of macos with the promise of extended support.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
Apple should offer paid OS upgrades again to folks on "older" hardware. This iMac isn't even 9 years old yet. Or paid versions of macos with the promise of extended support.
The problem is they have succeeded in conditioning customers to accept being forced to upgrade, even if their hardware is still good enough! This is a horrible business mindset, esp in our day and ages with the Enviroment and such.

Just wait and see if you have an M1 (even Mac studio) they will figure out a way to make you obsolete allot faster than they should as well ... now they gotten the hang of this way of business thinking it won't stop by cutting out intel.

Just look at their iPad commercial, it was horrible, smashing up all the old things, including iMacs into a new iPad.
Horrible horrible stuff!

Paid versions of newer Mac OS for intel would be great yes ... but they have lies for not doing it ... we know it's lies because some small resource (no offence) but brilliant developers, is able to do it with oclp, then tell me apple can't spare the developers to secure old intel versions of their newer macOS.

My 2013 iMac runs Ventura and Sonoma 110% flawless!
And it's not that slow ... its nothing like the difference between the old MacBook and the M1 air.

I also hate this very way they are trying to make us think, with new macOS versions and new iOS versioners ... there has really not been so many REAL new macOS versions, it's just upgrades to the older one they frame that way. again all part of pushing customers to upgrade hardware that the customers does not need upgraded.

It's brilliant but absolutely horrible marketing.

Last edited:
Reactions: vmz

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
This is a horrible business mindset, esp in our day and ages with the Enviroment and such.
Apple is trying to make money. And make more money than they made the previous year. They're succeeding at that brilliantly. You may want them to save the environment by supporting ten-year-old computers, but that's not their business model. All companies have to decide how to allocate their limited resources and Apple has decided it's not in their best interests to continue to support legacy hardware.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
Apple is trying to make money. And make more money than they made the previous year. They're succeeding at that brilliantly. You may want them to save the environment by supporting ten-year-old computers, but that's not their business model. All companies have to decide how to allocate their limited resources and Apple has decided it's not in their best interests to continue to support legacy hardware.
But that's a very poor business mindset, and it's ruining Apples entire culture.

Trying to make money, sure, so did Nokia until a point.

But it's simply not true they are succeeding making more money than they did the previous years, last year already they had their longest revenue slide in 22 years going 4 quarters back, and it's only gone worse since.
Essentially they have ending up conducting the selfsame ****** type of business-culture that Steve Jobs changed when he got back to Apple.

Btw Apple does not have that "limited resourced" their resources are rather unlimited; But again, that can change fast! Also we are talking about hundreds of millions intel machines still being used wordwide, and right now a single man is able to keep them all updated with the OCLP!

Why do you think Apple just pulled back the most expensive AD they have ever made.
Because most people was going nuts about seeing their things crushed to be replaced by the newest iPad.

It's Apples decade old long term strategy, that have been replaced by short term thinking.
Perhaps Tim Crook is trying to milk Apple as much as he can before retireing.

Reactions: vmz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.