Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I noticed that too. But why do you consider that a bug🧐 To me, it's just a change. makes no nevermind to me, one way or the other.

Lou
The point of a screensaver is to prevent burn-in or image retention of static objects.

This will cause issues, especially if you have an OLED display.

It’s definitely a bug.

mbpgecko

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Is it possible to install the Sonoma Beta inside a Parallels vm from the ipsw files?
I've found some suggestion it is possible, but unclear how.
Failing that, if I install the current version in Parallels, I assume I could update that to the beta afterwards?

Not sure as I don't have a dev account, so waiting for public beta to drop to try this out, but would the instructions laid out here be of any use?

I.e. where it says to type in terminal
Code:
/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create <path_to_ipsw> <path_to_macVM> --disksize <bytes>
you use the path to the Sonoma ipsw file?

e.g.
Code:
/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create ~/Downloads/Sonoma.ipsw ~/Parallels/macOS.macvm --disksize 80000000000

Just an idea, have no idea if this would work or even be good to try.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Not sure as I don't have a dev account, so waiting for public beta to drop to try this out, but would the instructions laid out here be of any use?

Code:
/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create <path_to_ipsw> <path_to_macVM> --disksize <bytes>
you use the path to the Sonomo ipsw file?

e.g.
Code:
/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_macvm_create ~/Downloads/Sonoma.ipsw ~/Parallels/macOS.macvm --disksize 80000000000

BOOM. Thank you so much. This works a treat. All that's needed after the Terminal shows Installation as being Complete is to add the macOS.macvm File back into Parallels itself (Located magically with the rest of your VM's).

1457975259-armwrestle.gif

• Love
Reactions: mbpgecko

mbpgecko

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
BOOM. Thank you so much. This works a treat. All that's needed after the Terminal shows Installation as being Complete is to add the macOS.macvm File back into Parallels itself (Located magically with the rest of your VM's).

View attachment 2218008
Oh nice!! :D Glad I could help and awesome to hear it works. Excited to give it a go myself when PB drops

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK

Code:
you use the path to the Sonoma ipsw file?

e.g.
Code:

I did see this originally, but when I tried it nothing seemed to run. I enter the command, renaming the ipse to match what I called it, but when pressing enter it just returns to the command prompt.
Initially I thought it was Sophos, so removed that, but the same happened.
Probably something I am doing, or not doing with Terminal as I have not used it much. Maybe I need to run from another directory?
Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 19.26.10.png

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I did see this originally, but when I tried it nothing seemed to run. I enter the command, renaming the ipse to match what I called it, but when pressing enter it just returns to the command prompt.
Initially I thought it was Sophos, so removed that, but the same happened.
Probably something I am doing, or not doing with Terminal as I have not used it much. Maybe I need to run from another directory? View attachment 2218098
Is that from the first command or the second? I never ran the first command and only ran this after renaming the .ipsw file:

Code:

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
It's the second command, that should create the VM file.
It seems other Parallels users have reported similar issues using the basic command for other OS versions so possibly a Parallels conflict issue.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
It's the second command, that should create the VM file.
It seems other Parallels users have reported similar issues using the basic command for other OS versions so possibly a Parallels conflict issue.
FWIW, I’m on an M1 MBP with macOS 13.5’s latest beta, and the most up to date version of Parallels, along with the .ipsw Universal File for Sonoma (in the downloads folder). I’ve also installed the recently released virtual machine tools from Apple which I now can’t find on the Dev Portal. Maybe make sure command line tools are installed?

mbpgecko

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
FWIW, I’m on an M1 MBP with macOS 13.5’s latest beta, and the most up to date version of Parallels, along with the .ipsw Universal File for Sonoma (in the downloads folder). I’ve also installed the recently released virtual machine tools from Apple which I now can’t find on the Dev Portal. Maybe make sure command line tools are installed?
Yeah I believe you need the virtual machine tools installed. Installing latest xcode 15 beta command line tools should enable the installation

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah I believe you need the virtual machine tools installed. Installing latest xcode 15 beta command line tools should enable the installation
Here it is, you need this along with the Command Line Tools installed, and then the second Terminal Command above should do the trick.

IMG_1247.jpeg

Vinpolar

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Noticed that I don't have any options for Continuity Camera beside Desk View. Also the indicator is its own icon in the bar now and shows preview of how the raw feed looks like.

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
Yes, that is correct.

Using System Settings to update, no options was provided to select the install destination. It installed over Macintosh HD and was not even given the choice to select external SSD. My internal drive was a single volume, which is where it was installed.

I backed up using TimeMachine prior to the update. Created another partition and installed macOS 13 in new partition.

That was not my main Mac, so not a big issue for me.
I do not agree, as I have been able to install macOS Sonoma b1 on a separate volume and was provided with option to select a drive on which I'd like to install it. Since APFS it is not necessary to create a new partition, sufficient is to create a separate volume, then download the installAssistant.pkg file from Apple and run the installation where you would be prompted to select a volume on which you want to install the Sonoma OS.

You can then select a startup disk in Settings --> General --> Startup disk

Attachments

• Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 10.27.43.png
    Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 10.27.43.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 10.20.42.png
    Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 10.20.42.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
in Music app the section "Listen now" wasn't displayed any content, rather then message "An error occurred. Try again later". Reported under FB12371543

Displaying tips for new macOS Sonoma features did not work. An error message was displayed instead: "Unable to get tips, try again later" FB12371518

Attachments

• Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 9.44.41.png
    Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 9.44.41.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 9.35.24.png
    Snímka obrazovky 2023-06-17 o 9.35.24.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 54

TechAndOSWorld

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2018
Slovakia
New Apple Maps appear to be working in Slovakia
a new feature? available in slovakia? slovakia's not in the US... /s

It looks like these are now available in older versions of macOS as well
(13.2 on the left, 14.0 on the right)

Attachments

• PXL_20230617_115516571.jpg
    PXL_20230617_115516571.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: Brachaci

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
a new feature? available in slovakia? slovakia's not in the US... /s

It looks like these are now available in older versions of macOS as well
(13.2 on the left, 14.0 on the right)
Correct, I checked also on iOS 16.5 and iPad OS 16.6b3 and can confirm that the rollout isn’t Sonoma related

Tyschwifty

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2023
Widgets are broken, as usual. Also why is still there no Music widget... I feel like they introduce changes around Widgets each year and still they're broken...
There are a lot of things missing like that LOL. For some reason, they choose to spend time/money elsewhere. For example, there is no iPad OS stock calculator, LOL. Great OS but it had its flaws for sure LOL. Let's hope stability holds up. 🤣🤌🏼

Tyschwifty

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2023
I kinda don't understand how these Aerial wallpapers are supposed to work. I can get them to move when I lock my Mac, but they don't move when I'm on the desktop. That's kinda what I expected, and that's what I used to do when I was 13, back in the macOS Sierra days. I used to set a fan-made Aerial screen saver as a desktop wallpaper with a terminal command.

View attachment 2213261

Apple has already nabbed desktop gadgets from Vista, why not DreamScene as well...
To be fair they do call it screensaver not a wallpaper. Although that would be super dope if they built that in. There is a free third-party app bringing all Apple TV Screen Savers to mac and it merges and still moves like you would expect.

Tyschwifty

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2023
I am gonna bite the bullet based on the "Seems to be going alright"s that have come through🤣

Will Updated with more later.

Macbook Air Specs.png

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
There are a lot of things missing like that LOL. For some reason, they choose to spend time/money elsewhere. For example, there is no iPad OS stock calculator, LOL. Great OS but it had its flaws for sure LOL. Let's hope stability holds up. 🤣🤌🏼
it is only developer beta 1. so, down the line, we'll see some new things, fixes, changes (and of course, sigh, new bugs).

Reactions: Tyschwifty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.