Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Rionnnn

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Adding my own input: early 2015 13" will install just find but if you root patch it will attempt to boot, seemingly be GPU accelerated, then crash and burn

Reactions: perez987

jln9899

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2018
Rochester, NY
15” MacBook Pro with Retina late 2013

Can confirm the install works fine. All drivers except graphic and WiFi doesn’t work. I am able to install root patch for graphic but it doesn’t boot up. Getting into safe mode doesn’t seem to be possible on Sonoma.

On Ventura - anytime a patch is applied on new update and it causes macOS not to boot, I was always able to boot into safe mode and revers the patch so I could wait until new patcher comes out. But sadly Sonoma doesn’t allow you to boot into safe mode so beware for those who doesn’t want to have to reinstall macOS all over again if you get stuck at boot loop.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Just looking at these early reports and comparing to a year ago—Ventura wouldn’t even boot on a lot of unsupported Macs, so the fact that so many people are even getting through a basic install and booting with the current version OCLP and Sonoma is a great start-line and promising, I think.

Dimvol

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2022
Macbook Pro A1707 2017 (Kabylake + Baffin) - is being installed. Wi-Fi doesn't work. Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 23.38.17.png

Last edited:

Portiere

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
The Mac Mini with Coffee Lake processor was only discontinued on 17th January this year so it should get support for a few years yet.
Originally the supported os time was 7 years, ex. my mac mini late 2012 was supported till Catalina (2019). Now it seems to be 4 years max 6 imacpro (2017). If developement goes on right the next will be last one.

RaiderCub

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Macbook Air 13" Early 2014

So, I have downloaded the update from settings. There was no graphic acceleration and no wifi. I installer the root from OCLP. Now it won't boot. The bar won't progress after 50% during login.

Apart from that I didn't have any chance to skim it :D

• Haha
Reactions: Paras Aryan

Rionnnn

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
15” MacBook Pro with Retina late 2013

Can confirm the install works fine. All drivers except graphic and WiFi doesn’t work. I am able to install root patch for graphic but it doesn’t boot up. Getting into safe mode doesn’t seem to be possible on Sonoma.

On Ventura - anytime a patch is applied on new update and it causes macOS not to boot, I was always able to boot into safe mode and revers the patch so I could wait until new patcher comes out. But sadly Sonoma doesn’t allow you to boot into safe mode so beware for those who doesn’t want to have to reinstall macOS all over again if you get stuck at boot loop.
Have you tried the safe mode boot flag?

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
View attachment 2213120

macOS 14 beta 1 does boot with the latest OCLP on an iMac 11,2 with an upgraded gpu.

Things I have noticed:
WiFi brcm94360cs2 does no longer function (probably needs patching now with this version).

Gpu acceleration is very broken as you can see by the background(this was after post install root patches), although animations and such are smooth again. It does seem to only be related to the background image.

Audio works!

Display brightness no longer works.

Ethernet works!
Comet 748, the brave

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Mr. Macintosh
Official Mr Macintosh macOS 14 Sonoma page:

… and latest Sonoma videos (very interesting):

Last edited:

Peet_B

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2019
Netherlands
Probably last OS that will have Intel support. The way it looks at least.
I doubt it though. My 2020 iMac is the latest and last Intel Mac ever made, and was released in mid 2020. Can't imagine them dropping support within 4 years. That said, the Mac Pro was sold until yesterday. Can't imagine Apple letting customers who just recently bought a very expensive machine sit without any further updates just over a year after purchase, though Apple is Apple...

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
I doubt it though. My 2020 iMac is the latest and last Intel Mac ever made, and was released in mid 2020. Can't imagine them dropping support within 4 years. That said, the Mac Pro was sold until yesterday. Can't imagine Apple letting customers who just recently bought a very expensive machine sit without any further updates just over a year after purchase, though Apple is Apple...
i think the Intel Mac Pro will be the last Intel Mac supported in like 2 or 3 future Versions

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
I think that too, that being said I can't imagine that Sonoma will be the last version for my iMac. I guess we'll see at least one more OS after Sonoma.
i think ur imac will still get 1 or 2 version being the 2020 model

The_Kebab

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
Is there any way I can get my hands on a copy without being registered as a developer? I have some older machines here where I could test this and maybe contribute to this project

RaiderCub

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Macbook Air 13" Early 2014

So, I have downloaded the update from settings. There was no graphic acceleration and no wifi. I installer the root from OCLP. Now it won't boot. The bar won't progress after 50% during login.

Apart from that I didn't have any chance to skim it :D
Is there anyway that I can boot it to Desktop again without getting back to Ventura :(

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I have recently acquired a 2017 27" 5K absolutely spec'd out - 4.2 GHz Quad Core i7, Radeon Pro 580 8GB, 64GB DDR4... am gutted to learn that it won't support Sonama.

Fingers crossed that some clever people will find a way to achieve this..!!

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
installed on mid 2014 no issues with a straight forward install without issues (seemed to install fairly fast ) I thought. The normal issues like Ventura and no Wi-Fi selectable and no Bluetooth , amazing really it boots to desktop wonder if widgets will be as much as a problem as Ventura (e.g news widget crash) that’s unusable if it’s on your desktop hopefully safe mode could remove it be interesting to see what happens with those.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.