Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
Well, MacOS 14 Sonoma does not support my MacBook 12" 2017 [MacBook10,1] with 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core I7. I hope MacOS 13.5 will be the polished and reliable release for the life of that MacBook.

Apple is releasing the Silicon Mac Pro next week, so that makes the entire line-up transition complete. No more Intel Macs on the Apple website.

The speculation turns to whether MacOS 15 will support the remaining Intel Macs, or only some of them. It seems unlikely support for the Intel iMac 2020 will be dropped, nor the Intel Mac Pro, but other Intel Macs are most likely left out.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The speculation turns to whether MacOS 15 will support the remaining Intel Macs, or only some of them. It seems unlikely support for the Intel iMac 2020 will be dropped, nor the Intel Mac Pro, but other Intel Macs are most likely left out.
I surmise not so many dropped for macOS 15 which I think will continue to support T2 iMacs. The 2019 iMac being supported by macOS 14 is a bit of an anomaly (the only non-T2 Intel Mac). An anomaly for which I am personally grateful!

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’m actually curious as to what state they’ll leave Intel Macs in when they’re “done” with this transition. At some point they’ll stop selling Intel Macs, as planned, and we’ll presumably get some years of support.

From what I can see, I’m not seeing too many major changes to Sonoma from Ventura (on the Intel Mac side of things). Is this really intended to be partly like a SL maintenance release? That would be absolutely fantastic if they’re intention was to leave Intel Macs on a great OS.

I look forward to coming back to this comment when the macOS 15 betas start rolling out next year…

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I’m actually curious as to what state they’ll leave Intel Macs in when they’re “done” with this transition. At some point they’ll stop selling Intel Macs, as planned, and we’ll presumably get some years of support.

From what I can see, I’m not seeing too many major changes to Sonoma from Ventura (on the Intel Mac side of things). Is this really intended to be partly like a SL maintenance release? That would be absolutely fantastic if they’re intention was to leave Intel Macs on a great OS.

I look forward to coming back to this comment when the macOS 15 betas start rolling out next year…
apple does it's thing; they talk about the new 'features', but have so far told us nothing about what happens under the hood. so will be interesting to see how sonoma manages itself, apple's apps, and 3rd-party apps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.