Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaiKAimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2022
New Zealand
I recently bought a 1TB portable SSD, fully erased it and partitioned it with GUID Partition Map using macOS' Disk Utility, then added an APFS (Encrypted) volume for storing data.

I was curious about whether my M2 iPad Pro can access data on that encrypted disk so I plugged it on my iPad and I was able to access and modify files with the Files app.

After remounting the volume back to my M1 MacBook Air I noticed that a new warning popped up in First Aid from Disk Utility:

Code:
warning: container has been mounted by APFS version 2142.102.2, which is newer than 2142.101.3

I believe that my iPad Pro is using a newer APFS version? My M2 iPad Pro (iPadOS 16.4.1) and M1 Macbook Air (macOS 13.3.1) both runs on the latest software version to date, why do they appear to have different APFS version? (Note: my Macbook was already running macOS 13.3.1 when I bought and re-formatted my external SSD)

Should I be worried about file corruption if I keep using my portable SSD on both my iPad and MacBook?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I recently bought a 1TB portable SSD, fully erased it and partitioned it with GUID Partition Map using macOS' Disk Utility, then added an APFS (Encrypted) volume for storing data.

I was curious about whether my M2 iPad Pro can access data on that encrypted disk so I plugged it on my iPad and I was able to access and modify files with the Files app.

After remounting the volume back to my M1 MacBook Air I noticed that a new warning popped up in First Aid from Disk Utility:

Code:
warning: container has been mounted by APFS version 2142.102.2, which is newer than 2142.101.3

I believe that my iPad Pro is using a newer APFS version? My M2 iPad Pro (iPadOS 16.4.1) and M1 Macbook Air (macOS 13.3.1) both runs on the latest software version to date, why do they appear to have different APFS version? (Note: my Macbook was already running macOS 13.3.1 when I bought and re-formatted my external SSD)

Should I be worried about file corruption if I keep using my portable SSD on both my iPad and MacBook?
This alert is of no concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.