Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hello to everyone,

On November 28, 2019, I purchased a 16 inch MacBook Pro. I only used this machine at Christmas to watch a Netflix movie and never used it again because I have several Apple machines and because, in the meantime, the Covid-19 issue arose and I started using my iMac for remote work.

As I usually do updates through Combo packages, when I updated the MacBook Pro 16 inch with macOS 10.15.4 Supplemental Update the machine died completely. I carried out an extensive analysis of the machine's behavior and found that I was one of the lucky ones with this problem:

https://mrmacintosh.com/10-15-4-supplemental-update-bricking-small-number-of-t2-macs/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...date-bricked-my-13-inch-macbook-2018.2230133/

Not even reinstalling BridgeOS in DFU Mode solved the MacBook Pro 16 inch problem.

I contacted Apple support who suggested I send the machine to an official Apple repair store. I told them that if it was a purely software issue, I would still accept the repair of the machine, but if the problem was hardware (before the update the machine worked without problems) I would not accept a repair for the following reasons:
- I never used the machine, except in the situation mentioned above;
- It is a completely new machine that was very expensive (more than 3200 USD);
- It is not acceptable that an official update from Apple to render the machine completely unusable.

At Apple Support they told me that if it is an hardware problem they will not replace the machine with a new one. So, because I think this is an unacceptable answer, I made a complaint in Apple Developer website area and send an email to Tim Cook about this issue.

The MacBook Pro 16 inch has been in an official Apple repairer for two weeks.

Regards,

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
Unfortunately this happened to myself and many others on earlier releases of Catalina. Its now scary to even contemplate an upgrade for thoughts that your MAC will be dead afterwards. What can you can....just do not do upgrades.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
While this is really annoying, "new" computer request is overblown. If it is really hardware problem, they will very likely replace logic board which basically makes it a new computer. You get back your display, top case (keyboard/touchpad and battery), and bottom plate. Since all of these have been used very little, your computer is basically new. So what is the difference? Just check the computer when you receive it back - there have been reports about very rare issues - and it should all be fine. I now buy Apple refurbished computers to save few bucks and I never got anything than "like new" computer. Apple repairs/refurbishing is amazing compared to others.
Now, the fact that Apple build system which is easily broken by their own update is another issue. That is real problem - for these expensive computers, it should not be happening.

GalacticLion7

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2020
Well, sending emails to the Apple CEO and expecting a response won't really help. Also, you don't mention that you have AppleCare+ for this MacBook, so there's a slim chance you can actually get a replacement for it.

Regardless, your issue is probably just a software issue. It just seems like a corrupted macOS install, so you can easily reinstall it by making an official bootable installer for macOS. Here's the link to the Apple Support article.

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
A USB install is not going to assist as if its DFU related you do not even get a screen to look at.....from a user aspect the laptop is completely dead. ie. screen black no sign of life, power button does nothing......

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Well, sending emails to the Apple CEO and expecting a response won't really help. Also, you don't mention that you have AppleCare+ for this MacBook, so there's a slim chance you can actually get a replacement for it.

Regardless, your issue is probably just a software issue. It just seems like a corrupted macOS install, so you can easily reinstall it by making an official bootable installer for macOS. Here's the link to the Apple Support article.

Reinstalling using a bootable USB or by internet recovery doesn’t solve the problem. After I did that when I make login the screen goes black. I can see the backlight, but the screen stay black.
[automerge]1588990913[/automerge]
While this is really annoying, "new" computer request is overblown. If it is really hardware problem, they will very likely replace logic board which basically makes it a new computer. You get back your display, top case (keyboard/touchpad and battery), and bottom plate. Since all of these have been used very little, your computer is basically new. So what is the difference? Just check the computer when you receive it back - there have been reports about very rare issues - and it should all be fine. I now buy Apple refurbished computers to save few bucks and I never got anything than "like new" computer. Apple repairs/refurbishing is amazing compared to others.
Now, the fact that Apple build system which is easily broken by their own update is another issue. That is real problem - for these expensive computers, it should not be happening.

I don’t bought a refurbished computer. I bought a new and very expensive computer. A computer that was never used with six cycles of battery (it came with 2 or 3 cycles) and open to replace hardware due to an Apple update is not admissible. If Apple broke my new computer Apple should replace it by a new one. Simple! A replacement of hardware doesn’t make it new!
[automerge]1588991096[/automerge]
A USB install is not going to assist as if its DFU related you do not even get a screen to look at.....from a user aspect the laptop is completely dead. ie. screen black no sign of life, power button does nothing......

I made a BridgeOS recovery and after that I was able to reinstall macOS, but after reinstalling it, when I login the screen goes black. Completely broken!

Last edited:

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020

In addition, I am willing to go to court with Apple to solve this issue. I am just waiting for the diagnosis.

Reactions: ranaharoon

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Reactions: Mendota and me55

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hello to everyone,

On November 28, 2019, I purchased a 16 inch MacBook Pro. I only used this machine at Christmas to watch a Netflix movie and never used it again because I have several Apple machines and because, in the meantime, the Covid-19 issue arose and I started using my iMac for remote work.

As I usually do updates through Combo packages, when I updated the MacBook Pro 16 inch with macOS 10.15.4 Supplemental Update the machine died completely. I carried out an extensive analysis of the machine's behavior and found that I was one of the lucky ones with this problem:

https://mrmacintosh.com/10-15-4-supplemental-update-bricking-small-number-of-t2-macs/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...date-bricked-my-13-inch-macbook-2018.2230133/

Not even reinstalling BridgeOS in DFU Mode solved the MacBook Pro 16 inch problem.

I contacted Apple support who suggested I send the machine to an official Apple repair store. I told them that if it was a purely software issue, I would still accept the repair of the machine, but if the problem was hardware (before the update the machine worked without problems) I would not accept a repair for the following reasons:
- I never used the machine, except in the situation mentioned above;
- It is a completely new machine that was very expensive (more than 3200 USD);
- It is not acceptable that an official update from Apple to render the machine completely unusable.

At Apple Support they told me that if it is an hardware problem they will not replace the machine with a new one. So, because I think this is an unacceptable answer, I made a complaint in Apple Developer website area and send an email to Tim Cook about this issue.

The MacBook Pro 16 inch has been in an official Apple repairer for two weeks.

Regards,

After hours on the phone with Apple Support they insist on not replacing the 16-inch MacBook Pro with a new one. They started by making it difficult to upgrade the hardware, then they came with the T2 chips to difficult the installation of other operating systems on their machines and now they release updates that destroy their customers' computers and do not assume their replacement with a new one even if it is a new computer. Definitely Apple computers are no longer what they were.

P.S.: I've been waiting for a diagnosis for 3 weeks!

Last edited:

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
I have now received information from the official Apple repair informing me that my Macbook Pro 16 inch 2019 needs a new logic board. In short, the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update destroyed the logic board. Thank you Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.