Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Noxonox

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Australia
Hello, I need help please.

This is my first post.

I just bought 2020 imac. I was planning to install Mojave on it to avoid potential software compatibility issue with Catalina. I wasted a whole day trying to do that. I eventually had four people from apple support making suggestions which didn't work and the fifth person told me it wasn't possible.

Now i have Catalina 10.15.7

My latest issue is that I can't control the builtin camera with manual settings. I used Webcam settings on my old imac running Mojave and it worked perfectly.

Does anyone know of a way to allow the facetime camera to be controlled with manual exposure settings in Catalina on a 2020 iMac 27"?

OR a surefire way to get Mojave to install?

It seems ridiculous to me that I spent $5000AUD on this machine and now I can't run the OS I want to to avoid issues like this and I an't manually control the camera. Is this T2 security related? I read that the T2 chip does some image processing for the camera.

Many thanks!!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I'm honestly surprised it took 3 support staff before they told you that older versions won't run.

Can you explain which Applications(s) you're trying to use for manual control with the camera?

Noxonox

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Australia
I'm honestly surprised it took 3 support staff before they told you that older versions won't run.

Can you explain which Applications(s) you're trying to use for manual control with the camera?

I was amazed too!!

I was using this one with Mojave on my older iMac

and I've since tried

and also

With all of them the manual controls are either greyed out, or they have no actual effect on the camera

EchoSierra

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2015
Boston, MA
I just bought a 16" Late 2019 Macbook Pro, running 10.15.7

I have not been able to get the Messages app to work. I've tried sending text messages to my phone number, and I receive the messages on my phone, but not on my new Mac. I've tried a bunch of things, from signing out of iMessage on my phone, signing out of iCloud on Messages Preferences, and I've tried restarting. None of this helped. I would just like to receive iMessages and text messages on my new Mac like I did on my old one.

Any solutions for this?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand

I have not been able to get the Messages app to work. I've tried sending text messages to my phone number, and I receive the messages on my phone, but not on my new Mac. I've tried a bunch of things, from signing out of iMessage on my phone, signing out of iCloud on Messages Preferences, and I've tried restarting. None of this helped. I would just like to receive iMessages and text messages on my new Mac like I did on my old one.

Any solutions for this?
Basic troubleshooting: check if Messages.app says you're signed in? (Messages> Preferences > iMessage).

Are you trying to receive texts (i.e. SMS from say an android user) on the Mac, or just iMessage's?

If you want texts (i.e. SMS) to arrive, on your phone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and make sure your Mac is listed and toggled on.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I was amazed too!!

I was using this one with Mojave on my older iMac

and I've since tried

and also

With all of them the manual controls are either greyed out, or they have no actual effect on the camera
I would suggest getting in touch with one/all of those developers about it. The 2020 iMac is literally the last Mac to get a T2, so either it's not T2 related, or they've likely found a solution for the other Macs with a T2.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Any solutions for this?

Yes in newer Macs in System Preferences check the panel for iCloud settings to see if everything is correct!

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
My latest issue is that I can't control the builtin camera with manual settings. I used Webcam settings on my old imac running Mojave and it worked perfectly.

Does anyone know of a way to allow the facetime camera to be controlled with manual exposure settings in Catalina on a 2020 iMac 27"?

OR a surefire way to get Mojave to install?

It seems ridiculous to me that I spent $5000AUD on this machine and now I can't run the OS I want to to avoid issues like this and I an't manually control the camera. Is this T2 security related? I read that the T2 chip does some image processing for the camera.
mate, apps become obsolete. Its up to the customer to make sure a new machine will work within their workflow, Apple doesn't take a 3 hr survey of your uses and notifies you if any of your old apps are no longer supported.

Ultimately its the Developers fault for not updating their app, nothing to do with the machine.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This may already be in here but I will look in a while ...

Got a notice on my MB to verify settings and asked for the passcode I use on my iphone for verification.
Problem is it only shows 6 characters while my 11PM has an 8 character passcode.
iPhone is on 14.2.

After a couple of “failures” it asked for the code from my IPP 11 showing the same 6 character fill in the blank. Thankfully my IPP is still on a 6 character passcode.

Navvier

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
Hello, I'm not sure is it a bug or not..

Do, you, guys have touchbar turned off (dimmed) when you wake (open lid) your MBP from sleep ?
I've noticed that there is no prompt to unlock mac with touch ID, but if I put finger on Touch ID, it unlocks successfully.

Strange thing is that when I close the lid and open it in less than a minute I see the prompt and arrow, pointing on Touch ID. But If I open the lid in less than a half hour after MBP sleep - I see no promts, touchbar is dark, but touch ID lets me unlock mac.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
Here's a new one...not sure how that math pencils out.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 1.58.58 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: dk001

killsapo

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
Milan, Italy
I jumped from high sierra to catalina on my ssd-equipped late 2013 iMac, everything seemed fine (as in “catalina-fine”), but:

• can't complete a Time Machine backup on my existing Time Machine drive; apparently there is not enough space (my internal ssd is 500gb, the Time Machine drive is 1TB that had 100 free gb… tried on another empty disk and all went well. tried disabling some folders from backup to match the required space without success (the existing time machinedrive still has the folder structure from High Sierra, but the graphical interface doesn't show them); shoul I erase and start fresh?
  • trying to overcome that problem I tried to download and install the 10.15.7 combo installer to reinstall, but the installer keeps telling me that the startup disk doesn't have the privileges or requirements to install it (120free gig on the internal ssd…)
I searched the web, used onyx, reset SMC and PRAM without luck

Jac39

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2022
‘macOS could not be installed’, something like that. Didn’t dive into the logs, restarting and it’s trying again but I feel like I might have to end up wiping it and retrying. Fingers crossed it just works this time around.
I have had this problem with my 2019 MacPro in trying to install the os up dates. i get the message also macos could not be installed. Son in law was not able to install Catalina 10.15.7 or Monterey os.

lkar

Suspended
Nov 14, 2015
Hello

I updated the 2009 iMac in my sig, from High Sierra (this is the max stock OS) to Catalina, via dosdude1's patcher: https://dosdude1.com/catalina/

On firefox extended release edition, google maps does NOT work, it shows a black screen. I did some googling, there was a fix saying i should turn on/off webgl in the about settings, that didn't work though. I tried Firefox extended release + google maps on my 2014 macbook pro and it works fine. (video card is ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory, which is a non metal GPU, not sure if this is related to the problem though)

So my question is, why doesn't firefox extended release + google maps work on Catalina on my 2009 iMac? Does anyone else have this problem or can reproduce it? Please let me know what you think and who I should file the big report to, thanks

Last edited:

Trallo trallo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2023
Hi all,
I have a MacBook White Unibody, 13", Mid 2010, 2,4 GHz Core 2 Duo.
I managed to upgrade to Catalina thanks to the Dosdude1 work.

I bought this white Macbook for my sister as she needs to take online exams, but by coincidence the only way it is with Chrome linked with lockdown browser. Google Chrome is not working anymore, so she is waiting for me (we live in different cities) to solve her problem with Chrome.

Now, circa one year ago, I downloaded the two patches: library validation and video etc. and the computer could not boot anymore, stuck at a blank white screen. I managed to boot from the USB Catalina and downgraded the Mac without the patches. So, I am puzzled now: To fix Chrome, do I need to use the sudo nvram boot-args=amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1 as dosdude1 explains without problems?
I need to upgrade only the library validation patch maybe after one year dosdude corrected the error?
Let me know, so I can instruct my sister and guide her via video call. Thank you very much. Trallo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.