Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
California
I've been fighting my Macbook Pro 2016 trying to get Windows installed. Whenever I get to downloading the Windows Support software. I get the error "Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update Server." This is after it has started downloading for a minute or two. Is this a problem on my end or with Apple?

cullenl87

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I actually got it to work. I ended up deleting everything on my mac and reinstalling MacOS. I was on 10.15.1 trying to install Windows 10 Nov patch.
I'm having the exact same problem. I'm wondering if I need to do the same?

cullenl87

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I reset my Mac like you did and now it’s saying that I can’t partition the drive. I have the new 16” mbp so im guessing the drivers haven’t been updated? I checked on reddit and others were experiencing the same issue. I‘m guessing I’ll have to wait for the next Catalina Update?

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
California
I reset my Mac like you did and now it’s saying that I can’t partition the drive. I have the new 16” mbp so im guessing the drivers haven’t been updated? I checked on reddit and others were experiencing the same issue. I‘m guessing I’ll have to wait for the next Catalina Update?
Maybe. I cant help you there. My guess would be that Apple hasnt updated them yet. Have you tried downloading them through the "Action" tab in the menu bar just to see if you get anything?

cullenl87

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Maybe. I cant help you there. My guess would be that Apple hasnt updated them yet. Have you tried downloading them through the "Action" tab in the menu bar just to see if you get anything?
Yep, I’ve done the action thing as well. I’ll just wait. Always something. But thanks for the help.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Hello. I research about this last sunday. It seems like it is a problem that has been since High Sierra of getting stuck in the downloading windows support software. I'm having the same issue in Mojave. The fix is quite laborious; doing yourself the partitions, downloading software directly from the apple website, doing your own usb drive thing, etc. My workaround was to use Parallels and use Windows virtually.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
California
Hello. I research about this last sunday. It seems like it is a problem that has been since High Sierra of getting stuck in the downloading windows support software. I'm having the same issue in Mojave. The fix is quite laborious; doing yourself the partitions, downloading software directly from the apple website, doing your own usb drive thing, etc. My workaround was to use Parallels and use Windows virtually.
My process on Catalina was to restore to a clean version of 10.15.1 by deleting everything on the computer and reinstalling, then once booted into MacOS install Windows through Bootcamp, then restore everything from my Time Machine backup. Overall took 4-5 hours but everything is the way it needs to be now.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
California
An update to this: had the issue again and turned out it was an issue with /private/tmp folder. After following the instructions to make a new tmp folder in the linked thread, I am now able to download and install windows 10 via bootcamp As well as install pkg files that threw errors. Not sure if this is an official fix but worked for me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-10-15-1.2213004/?post=28012714#post-28012714

Reactions: TheGenerous
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.