Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
I've run into a problem with "Software Updates". It keeps on spinning and not showing any results. This problem started a few weeks ago:

Check updates.png

I have my Mac backed up with iCloud, Time Machine and SuperDuper. Since this is the first time in about 5 years I have had any real problem with this Mac, I was thinking of running First Aid to see if it would fix the problem.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210898

I have never run First Aid before and I would like some advice on how to do it. Do I run First Aid on all of the screen shots below or just one? (Which One)

If I have to run First Aid on all in Screen Shots 1 - 4, which order do I do it?

1. Fusion.png

2. Container Disk 2.png

3. Mac HD.png

4. Mac HD Data.png

Reactions: Ssherjj2

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I could be wrong, but I don't think First Aid is necessarily the right thing to run that would fix this issue. That is more for checking disk errors.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you run the following command in Terminal? Does it hang/error out there too, or return a list of updates?

softwareupdate -l

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
Updates are working again. This is what I did:
In this setting:

Settings 1.png

I unchecked "Check for Updates" and "Install System Data Files and Security Updates" ~ OK
Rebooted
I then checked "Check for Updates" and "Install System Data Files and Security Updates" ~ OK
Rebooted

Now everything is normal again:

Screen Shot #2.png

I have no idea what the problem was, but updates are working again. :)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Probably just Apple's servers choking. This happens more often than not. I often have the App store freezes on my iPhone, just because Apple's servers are choking.

Reactions: ProTruckDriver

Ssherjj2

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2022
In this setting:

View attachment 1949099

I unchecked "Check for Updates" and "Install System Data Files and Security Updates" ~ OK
Rebooted
I then checked "Check for Updates" and "Install System Data Files and Security Updates" ~ OK
Rebooted

View attachment 1949103

Great news @ProTruckDriver !I know how important it is for you to have that Mac running smoothly!?

Reactions: ProTruckDriver

edsw

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2022
Unfortunately that didn't work for me so I had to do a reinstall of the operating system. Didn't lose any data as far as I can see.

Aspartic

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2023
Solved
In this setting:

View attachment 1949099

Rebooted
Rebooted

View attachment 1949103

Solved my problem perfectly. THX!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.