Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Egk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Hello,

I have tried searching regarding this topic, but nothing that actually had any real answers that would solve my problem.

I have iCloud with contacts synced on these devices successfully (all with newest updates):
  • iPhone 12 Mini
  • MBA 2021
  • iPad Air 2020
But when I add another machine (MBP Late 2017, Monterrey) that machine will consistently duplicate my contacts. First twice, then triple. If I disable sync on that machine the others work perfectly after I used the restore contacts option in iCloud.

So I have one culprit that messes everything up, any suggestions on what to do? I have tried disabling sync, restarting the machine and then enabling it again. After restarting and syncing the machine will immediately duplicate contacts on sync without fail. This happens every, single, time and I have made several attempts.

I have tried to disable sync on every device and turn on one by one, but only the MBP has this issue.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

If people recommend that I log in and out of iCloud on every device I will throw myself off a bridge... ?

EDIT: I think I actually found a solution by accident

I followed some steps found in this thread: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/276629/missing-icloud-contacts-on-one-device

1. Sign out of iCloud ← did not do this
  2. Delete ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook.
  3. Delete ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBookSourceSync.
  4. Delete ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.AddressBook.savedState. ← couldn't find
  5. Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist.
  6. Restart your MacBook Pro.
  7. Sign back into iCloud.
This actually worked! No immediate duplication after activating the sync again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.