Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mizu7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
Hello,

I have a problem installing MacOS to iMac. I wanted a new (clear) macos on it, so I deleted Macintosh HD, where macos was installed via Command+R recovery mode using disk utility. Then in recovery mode I clicked on install a new copy of MacOS, it started downloading but in the half of installation, it restarts and gives me error "MacOS could not be installed on your computer", then it says something about problem with copying. I also called apple support, but with no luck. Could you please help me? This is what I´ve done:

Erased Macintosh HD to MacOS Extended (Journaled) - but still, the same error.
Tried to power on computer with command, option, P, R. Still the same.
Tried internet recovery and installing again. The same.
Tried to create a bootable macos installer on USB via my Macbook. Still the same.

Do you have any suggestions please? Thank you.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Try holding down Option-Command-R when starting up your Mac to reinstall the latest version of macOS that's compatible with your Mac. If that doesn't work, you'll need to try reinstalling the version of macOS that came with your Mac by holding down Shift-Option-Command-R.

Mizu7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
Tried this also :( Still in the middle of it, it restarts and gives me error. There must be something behind it, what I am doing wrong and don´t know what it is. Is it okay to have HDD formated to MacOS Extended (Journaled)?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You may have discovered that your hard drive has some bad sectors on it and the installation fails when it tries to write to one or more of them.

Alternately, it could be that your hard drive cable is dodgy and that's throwing errors.

Successfully installing to an external drive would be a second indicator of one of those issues with your internals.

Mizu7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
I´ll try that with external drive. That´s a good point. Thanks.
But I don´t think there is a problem with HDD, because I used diagnostic tool (starting with D button) and there was no error. Also, it was working 100% right before I deleted it. :mad:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The Diagnostic Tool does what it does but there's no way it could check every block on a hard disk in the time that it runs so one would have to assume it is not checking blocks.

I recently had a Samsung SSD that was running fine but a block-level scan revealed bad blocks. I got a replacement via warranty.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Why don't you tell us WHICH iMac you have?
And... what version of the OS you're trying to install?

MacConfucious say:
User who erases Mac without backup...
... often finds himself "backed up" against the wall...

Reactions: arkitect

Mizu7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
Hi guys, thank you for your help! Shift - Command - Option - R finally helped. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.