Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaturnsLament

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2023
I've always wondered why Apple does not produce a 'lite' version of its macOS operating system specifically for PC hardware--think, "macGO". I feel like it would attract more people to the Apple ecosystem, encourage macOS software development, boost App Store revenue, etc.

I know, Apple makes money from hardware sales and macOS for PC could potentially discourage adoption of Apple hardware. But there would be inherent limitations to the PC version of the OS--for instance, no T2 security and no M1/2/3 architecture--that would ultimately make purchasing a Mac a better option.

The only downside, for me, would be that it would potentially leave to more macOS malware.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty sure the iPad is the lite version to entice PC people. There is always hackintosh for a little while longer, full Version :)

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
A number of issues.

1.) The PC hardware ecosystem they'd need to support is far more diverse than the various Macintoshes available. Compatibility concerns would likely be magnified.

2.) If it were slower, more limited, then it'd give a subpar user experience and damage the Mac's reputation.

3.) If it weren't, many people would rather buy the PC version so they could more heavily customize their equipment, save money, etc..., which would cost Apple hardware sales. Competitor hardware is no joke.

IIRC (it's been a long time), long ago when IBM decided to release a lot of info. about their PCs hoping it'd be used to develop supporting products, I think I read they did NOT know it would lead to massive numbers of PC 'clones,' which would outcompete IBM's PCs on hardware and cost. To drive the point home, when you see Window's PCs today, how often are they IBM brand?

Reactions: chrfr

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've always wondered why Apple does not produce a 'lite' version of its macOS operating system specifically for PC hardware--think, "macGO". I feel like it would attract more people to the Apple ecosystem, encourage macOS software development, boost App Store revenue, etc.

I know, Apple makes money from hardware sales and macOS for PC could potentially discourage adoption of Apple hardware. But there would be inherent limitations to the PC version of the OS--for instance, no T2 security and no M1/2/3 architecture--that would ultimately make purchasing a Mac a better option.

The only downside, for me, would be that it would potentially leave to more macOS malware.
Apple nearly went bankrupt when they licensed their OS to clones back in the 1990s. Selling the OS would not generate nearly enough money to offset the loss in hardware sales today, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.