Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
This makes no sense. If anything I would expect to see dark mode on iOS before macOS. I really hope that they will be adding it. I see no reason not to.

Reactions: sdwaltz

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
My guess is that iOS 12 will focus on performance while iOS 13 will focus on a UI overhaul which will again ruin said iOS 12 peformance improvements lol

Reactions: FeliApple

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My guess is that iOS 12 will focus on performance while iOS 13 will focus on a UI overhaul which will again ruin said iOS 12 peformance improvements lol
Yeah, it doesn’t make much sense to make a dark version of everything this year just to change it again next year.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
What do you mean!?!? iOS 12 has the BEST Dark Mode out there!!! SMART INVERT!!! sarcasm. They really should add it to iOS 12 tho, it's long overdue and if you're adding it in macOS, why not iOS?

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Personally, I think it is something they are saving to introduce with the new iPhone's in the fall. Wishful thinking, but there have been some clues as mentioned above.
You mean like an exclusive "feature" for the next iPhone?

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Yes, likely for OLED iPhone's only, considering they have the most tangible benefit. I am not sure what you mean by "feature" though as I would consider dark mode a feature.
I'm pretty sure the iPhone X OLED is still capable of having the dark mode "feature" and not only the new released OLED iPhones, as for the "OLED iPhone's only, considering they have the most tangible benefit" tell that to Apple who added a dark mode into Macs which don't even have OLED screens at all.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'm pretty sure the iPhone X OLED is still capable of having the dark mode "feature" and not only the new released OLED iPhones, as for the "OLED iPhone's only, considering they have the most tangible benefit" tell that to Apple who added a dark mode into Macs which don't even have OLED screens at all.

Yes, I’d imagine it would come to last years X as well. I don’t have any contacts at Apple to tell, just guessing on my end from some things I’ve noticed. I ultimately have no control over what Apple does here, and that’s okay too. From what I read though, Dark Mode on macOS was created with developers in mind.

Last edited:
Personally, I think it is something they are saving to introduce with the new iPhone's in the fall. Wishful thinking, but there have been some clues as mentioned above.
YES, this is my theory that struck me when I woke up this morning... I think it is highly likely that Dark Mode would be restricted to OLED displays (promotionally due to the battery efficiencies, but in reality it will be a another upsell for iPhone X).

So from that perspective it TOTALLY makes sense they wouldn't have announced it at WWDC. iOS 12 now with Dark Mode....... Except for iPhone 5s, SE, 6, 6+, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 10.5, iPad Pro 12.9 1st and 2nd gen, iPad 5, iPad 6, and iPad Touch. To announce a visual change that only 1 device out of the 18 different iOS 12 models just doesn't make sense, and would likely get a ton of negative press for "crippling" all their other products.

What I think will happen is when iPhone X2 get announced apple will make a huge deal about a new dark mode which "yields a xx% battery savings not to mention looks awesome!". And THEN it'll be an exciting "And for all of you current iPhone X users, this dark mode will be made available to you to gain these newly developed efficiencies as well!" And the whole world shouts "hurrah for actually including some older models instead of crippling older models!" as everyone falls for Apple's neat little trick! ;)

I know people might say "but apple spent a lot of time on animoji and memoji which is an iPhone X exclusive!" And while that might be true, it makes sense because a) there are more obvious/reasonable reasons for excluding other models, and b) this is already a current feature (exclusively) on iPhone X so it makes sense to just talk about how it's expanding.

Dark mode isn't a capability that devs would need to know about ahead of time, because it's basically just going to be all of Apple's apps/system features. Many apps already have a dark mode, so devs are already deciding whether or not they wanna do dark mode regardless of what apple does (although undoubtadly if apple does it, a few more devs will follow suit than would have otherwise).

Literally after I thought of this, this morning, I'm now absolutely convinced this is what Apple is doing (FWIW I admit it could be hopeful thinking for my iPhone X, but honestly I'm not one of the people adamently begging for it. I think it'll be nice (and would certainly at least try it out), but it wouldn't kill me if it doesn't happen)

Reactions: panar and Phogro

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
This was a feature that Johnny Ivy would not approve for iOS...it would go against all the white that he created...give it a few more years....argh I want it so bad for iOS but I'm not surprised at all it's not in iOS 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.