Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
macOS High Sierra on Unsupported Macs

4lxKiPF.png

For the first time since OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) in 2012, macOS Sierra (10.12) changed the official minimum requirements needed for installation, leaving many older (but still perfectly capable) Macs behind. Now macOS High Sierra (10.13) brings a new set of updates, and older Macs that can possibly run them.

• MacBook (late 2009 or later)
  • iMac (late 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 or later)
  • Mac mini (2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later)

Note this space!

Preliminary Tested Models List:

MacBookPro5,5 (13-inch Mid 2009) - No issues
MacBookPro5,4 (15-inch Mid 2009) - No issues
MacBookPro5,3 (15-inch Mid 2009) - No issues
MacBookPro5,1 (15-inch Late 2008) - No issues
MacBook5,1 (13-inch Unibody Aluminum Late 2008) - No issues

MacPro3,1 (Early 2008) - No issues

iMac7,1 (Mid 2007 W/BCM94360CAX and SSE4 supported T9300) - Screen brightness is controllable (NightShift works with modified CoreBrightness.frameworks)

iMac9,1 (Early 2009) - Missing Screen Brightness Controls (buttons don't work either)

MacBook5,2 (Early [Mid] 2009 MacBook) - Screen brightness not controllable (buttons don't work either), volume buttons do not work, same trackpad detected as USB mouse issue

Xserve2,1 (Early 2008) - graphics are unaccelerated with the original ATI X1300 unless an upgraded graphics card e.g. Nvidia GT 120 (from a Mac Pro) is installed

Known Patching Methods:
Automatic tools that can be used to install macOS High Sierra onto an unsupported Mac.

Using @dosdude1's Patcher Tool:
Main Page/Instructions: macOS High Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs
Download: [Direct Download]

Security And OS Standalone Updates

Thanks to AsentientBot for this newer more streamlined method.

Modifying the Security Updates or macOS Updates for Sierra or High Sierra.

Download the update.
Open the update.
Move the update.pkg to Desktop.

Open Terminal.

Enter pkgutil --expand now drag and drop the .pkg from the Desktop into the Terminal window and type after a space ~/Desktop/Expanded hit Return and wait, this takes a little while.

Open Expanded folder and then open Distribution file in Text Edit

Scroll down to the line

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {

enter the text return true; so it looks like this

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {return true;
now save the changes

Go back to Terminal pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Expanded ~/Desktop/Modified.pkg
Using the .pkg extension is crucial.

Last edited:

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Hoping my mid-2010 27" iMac will be able to run High Sierra. I'm thinking that this release will likely be the last one that supports my older hardware.

EDIT: posted before the system requirements were readily available. Very happy that I'll be running High Sierra on my iMac this fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
The way downloading the OS is handled appears to have changed for 10.13. Instead of downloading the entire ~5GB app from the App Store, now, the app downloaded is only ~7MB, and when launched, downloads the entirety of the OS. I'm assuming (and hoping) that this is done just to verify that you are actually a registered developer in order to install it. If this is the case, then the public beta (and final release) versions should revert to the traditional download method.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.26.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.26.35 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,357

MisterBiro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Orange, CA
The way downloading the OS is handled appears to have changed for 10.13. Instead of downloading the entire ~5GB app from the App Store, now, the app downloaded is only ~7MB, and when launched, downloads the entirety of the OS. I'm assuming (and hoping) that this is done just to verify that you are actually a registered developer in order to install it. If this is the case, then the public beta (and final release) versions should revert to the traditional download method.
Interesting... Neither my MBP (2014) or MBA (2010) downloaded a 7MB file... Instead, they are both plowing their way through a 5.26GB downed.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Interesting... Neither my MBP (2014) or MBA (2010) downloaded a 7MB file... Instead, they are both plowing their way through a 5.26GB downed.
Yeah, some with somebody else I know... I tried two different machines, and got the 7MB download both times... I'll just get somebody to upload it, and it should be fine.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yeah, some with somebody else I know... I tried two different machines, and got the 7MB download both times... I'll just get somebody to upload it, and it should be fine.
Perhaps it detects how much drive space you have free and downloads one or the other. My iMac downloaded only the 7.8 MB installer, but the Retina MacBook Pro has more space free and it's currently downloading the full 5.26 GB.
[doublepost=1496702769][/doublepost]
Update: High Sierra is booted and running on a Late-2008 MacBook Pro 5,1! It works just fine by bypassing the system check and @parrotgeek1 's LegacyUSBInjector kext!
That's great news, as expected not much has changed. Should be very easy to get it working on unsupported Macs capable of running Sierra.

fabiojuniorr

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi from my 2008 Mac Pro guys! @dosdude1 your old patcher still is king!
S8jzeGx.png

How did you do it? Do you have a developer account? And if so, did you just check for updates as usual? And at the actual updating process, it just ran normally or did you perform any kind of different thing from the usual process stated in the macOS sierra patcher tool? I have a mbp pro 5,5 mid 2009 running macOS 10.12.5 and I really want to update to 10.13. Thanks in advance!

hrutkaymods

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
How did you do it? Do you have a developer account? And if so, did you just check for updates as usual? And at the actual updating process, it just ran normally or did you perform any kind of different thing from the usual process stated in the macOS sierra patcher tool? I have a mbp pro 5,5 mid 2009 running macOS 10.12.5 and I really want to update to 10.13. Thanks in advance!
I'm a dev... I downloaded the installer on my supported Mid 2010 MacBook, installed it to an external drive and then... Made a Sierra USB installer Patch stick. plugged the external drive in, booted from the USB Patcher, patched the High Sierra drive with the Sierra install patch tool and rebooted... can't wait until @dosdude1's new patcher comes out because that was a pain... but it works 100%, all sound and controls (and my Osxwifi,com airport card) i'm going to see if the night shift patch still works too

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I've done a preliminary update to macOS Sierra Patcher, just to add compatibility with the High Sierra installer. Keep in mind nothing else has changed, so I'm not sure if some of the post-install patches still work in High Sierra. Also, for those of you who cannot download a copy of High Sierra, I have a copy available for download here (if this is not allowed, let me know and I'll remove this link). Download "macOS High Sierra Patcher" here.

hrutkaymods

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
I've done a preliminary update to macOS Sierra Patcher, just to add compatibility with the High Sierra installer. Keep in mind nothing else has changed, so I'm not sure if some of the post-install patches still work in High Sierra. Also, for those of you who cannot download a copy of High Sierra, I have a copy available for (if this is not allowed, let me know and I'll remove this link). Download "macOS High Sierra Patcher"
I'm still testing it all... all patches for the Pro seem to work, can't say for the others yet and who knows if the updates patch will work but so far so good

hrutkaymods

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.