Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webbymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
So, I recently updated my 2011 iMac to 10.13.6 from 10.9....

Anyway, iTunes (12.6) now won't connect to my AirPort Express. I get "An error occurred while connecting to the AirPlay device “Back Room”. An unknown error occurred (10)." which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Anyone know what might be going on here? I have a large music collection and stream to my stereo via the AE.

I can connect to it from my iPhone, and I can also connect to it from the volume icon in the menu bar. But that sends ALL sounds to my stereo and not just iTunes.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
This is just a guess:

I believe there was an update to the Airport Express firmware a year ago or so. Maybe yours is out of date and doesn't work with the new Airplay 2 protocol? I see my Airport Express (2nd generation) has "Version 7.8" (also listed as 78000.12 if you actually click on the "7.8" in the Summary tab--see below).

You can check yours with Airport Utility. After clicking on your Express, hold the Alt/Option key while you click on the Edit button. That will add a Summary tab to the usual tabbed interface, which shows the model/serial number/version info for that Express.

webbymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Thanks for your response Brian.

I've done a bit of further testing and investigation and I believe that the MacOS 10.13.6 update brings support for AirPlay 2. There's also a Firmware Update for the Airport Express which also adds AirPlay 2 support. However, for iTunes to support AirPlay 2 it needs to be updated to 12.8.

This seems a little bizarre to me. Does iTunes use different audio protocols separate from MacOS?

p.s. I'm a little reluctant to update to 12.8 due to some known artwork display issues: https://medium.com/@patrick.rankine/dear-apple-its-a-small-ask-please-fix-itunes-48d1a0fd978 :-/

Reactions: smojo

smojo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for your response Brian.

I've done a bit of further testing and investigation and I believe that the MacOS 10.13.6 update brings support for AirPlay 2. There's also a Firmware Update for the Airport Express which also adds AirPlay 2 support. However, for iTunes to support AirPlay 2 it needs to be updated to 12.8.

This seems a little bizarre to me. Does iTunes use different audio protocols separate from MacOS?

p.s. I'm a little reluctant to update to 12.8 due to some known artwork display issues: https://medium.com/@patrick.rankine/dear-apple-its-a-small-ask-please-fix-itunes-48d1a0fd978 :-/

Thanks for this investigation; upgrading iTunes solved this exact same issue for me. I was having this same error with various Airport Expresses with attached speakers, although it didn't start immediately after I upgraded the AE firmware, which is a bit puzzling. However upgrading to 12.8.2 fixed the issue and I can airplay again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.