Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryxn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
General discussion thread. How's it working for you? Any changes to your workflow or apps you use?

Discord's annoying bar on the top has been removed. Users can now sync their messages to iCloud, but I'm unfortunately stuck at 96%.

mahoneym

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Everything seems snappy. Had issues getting the keychain going, but it is working now.

What I really notice is the screen text. It seems very clear and sharp.

2016 MacBook Pro TB - Iphone 7 Plus

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
My menubar seems to be hiding and showing apps randomly, system and third party icons seem to affected. Quitting Bartender seems to solve the issue, at least temporarily. Other than that it seems pretty smooth, and usable enough.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Installed beta 2 (first time installing the new OS). It took a good while to install on my MBP (late 2016) TB. It was very slow with initial boot and was unable to connect to the Apple server to sign into iCloud. It took 3 reboots to be able to connect to the Apple server and sign into iCloud. The boot time is a little slower (which is to be expected). Safari is a heck of a lot faster in the new OS. I did the default upgrade to the new file system.

vickysud

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
are fans going crazy when doing basic stuff like watching youtube videos or is it fixed in Beta 2 ?

gregsapphire

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
Installing it now on new iMac with 3tb fusion drive. Failed miserably first time. Did not move to new file system. When I did first time it destroy so many things.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How is QuickTime support for high rez HEVC on new Macs?

Jetpaction

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
With beta 2 my battery icon turns red when not on AC power. Anyone else seeing this? 2016 MBP 13".

ra1zZgX.png

Reactions: nortonandreev

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It seems "mission control" is gone: it is mentioned in hot corners, but it does not work, the same is for "desktop"
I have a hot corner to show the desktop, works the same as before. Try logging out and back in.
With beta 2 my battery icon turns red when not on AC power. Anyone else seeing this? 2016 MBP 13".

ra1zZgX.png
Same here, and never noticed it happening in beta 1. 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro.
Red-Battery-Bug.png

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
About the red battery icon, I saw it one time in beta 1. I don't know why (wasn't doing anything special and CPU % was low)

ryxn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Installed beta 2 (first time installing the new OS). It took a good while to install on my MBP (late 2016) TB. It was very slow with initial boot and was unable to connect to the Apple server to sign into iCloud. It took 3 reboots to be able to connect to the Apple server and sign into iCloud. The boot time is a little slower (which is to be expected). Safari is a heck of a lot faster in the new OS. I did the default upgrade to the new file system.
Yeah - I've noticed my boot times to be significantly slower. I'm not on APFS though and it IS a beta, but it's very obvious to me.

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
How is QuickTime support for high rez HEVC on new Macs?

First, your question was not detailed and also I have no special knowledge on this.
OK,my impression is that Apple is running on two rails since some time. Or is leaving the old plug-in system.
There are no HEVC codecs like "all the years Quicktime type components" in the System/Library/Quicktime folder.
There is a Video folder in Library and there you can find some files of HEVC. But these are not plug in like,
for example to copy them in the "Quicktime codecs folder" of older systems. Dont work.
Seems to be related to a construction far deeper in the OS or specially made for Final Cut.
On a HighSierra unsupported 2009 MacMini I could playback H265 of some test videos found in Internet.
But y was unable to render HEVC, I have no modern Videocut Software. The old Quicktime 7 Pro does not run
anymore in 10.13, missing buttons. But you can find the button aereas and open the Export codec selector.
Here I didnt found HEVC options. Seems, that HEVC comes aside of the Quicktime system.
Maybe somone knows some more about that.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
First, your question was not detailed and also I have no special knowledge on this.
OK,my impression is that Apple is running on two rails since some time. Or is leaving the old plug-in system.
There are no HEVC codecs like "all the years Quicktime type components" in the System/Library/Quicktime folder.
There is a Video folder in Library and there you can find some files of HEVC. But these are not plug in like,
for example to copy them in the "Quicktime codecs folder" of older systems. Dont work.
Seems to be related to a construction far deeper in the OS or specially made for Final Cut.
On a HighSierra unsupported 2009 MacMini I could playback H265 of some test videos found in Internet.
But y was unable to render HEVC, I have no modern Videocut Software. The old Quicktime 7 Pro does not run
anymore in 10.13, missing buttons. But you can find the button aereas and open the Export codec selector.
Here I didnt found HEVC options. Seems, that HEVC comes aside of the Quicktime system.
Maybe somone knows some more about that.
OK, what I meant by the question was how much CPU usage there was, and how well the files played.

If you have an old Mac mini, the HEVC files will play, but it's all in software, so the CPU usage will be high. What resolution HEVC videos did you play?

I'm wondering if anyone has tested Quicktime with 4K HEVC videos playing on a 2017 Mac. I just wonder what the status of playback is on these early betas.

I'd test this myself, but I'm waiting for a Public Beta of Sierra.

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
Okay, understood.
I only did once a short try in 4k without analyzing anything. It was clear thats arduous for that CPU so I did not take much attention to the file itself or the performance at all.
For me it was interesting to see, that older MacOS can't decode whereas 10.13 can.
Reason, I came with the idea to transfer the Quicktime codec components to OS 10.9 to hold that system at least in some aspects uptodate. But thats seems to be not possible anymore, so far.
(Dont know, if there is another option via Final Cut maybe?)
Then sadly I'll stay with H264 anytime longer, as I use it only for home. So, sorry I have not an answer that you expected.
About performance, have a look on interesting comparisons on Youtube.
Although run on windows, one can see a huge difference with/without KabyLake CPUs.
Search for H.265/HEVC Playback Comparison. To get a little idea, what could happen with older hardware.

ryxn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Two bugs I've noticed after some time:
  1. After restarting my Mac, brightness will be very low. I've set the system to not change the brightness automatically but it switches over after each restart.
  2. After using some applications, like games in full screen mode or Chrome in Incognito, my GUI will be messed up. Window re-sizing is virtually impossible and the volume slider will be in the top left-hand side of my screen. To fix this, I need to log out or restart the Mac. This has been happening since B1 though.

Porsupah

macrumors regular
DP2U1 (17A291m) doesn't seem any more stable than DP2 here, unfortunately - just had my first kernel panic, after about four hours' uptime; with DP2, I've seen a panic once every day or two, on a late 2013 15" rMBP.

As for brightness, I've found the "automatically adjust" option in the Displays prefs is always enabled after a restart, for some odd reason.

No huge UI issues, save for a TextEdit quirk - often, the first file to open after restarting (as I usually have a couple minimised) has no drop-shadow around its window. Closing and reopening that file then behaves normally. Similarly, QT7 Pro seems unaffected here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.